Please tell me that NFC will open up!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerZyT28, Sep 22, 2014.

1. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

One of the main reasons I love NFC on my HTC One (or any android) is to send pics through NFC. Apparently we can't do that?!?! Why even put NFC? Please tell me that there's a work around to send pics and files from android and iOS besides emailing.

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

NFC is for ApplePay. I've tried Android Beam and it almost never works properly. I had it work once but after 5 tries, an email would have been faster. Or just sending it over MMS. Or just showing the other person.

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

+1 for AirDrop

Also I imagine nfc will open up to developers next year ala TouchID.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Do you actually do NFC File Sharing on a regular basis? When I had my Android phone I did it TWICE and that was just to show people.

Anytime I share something with someone I almost always just use AirDrop.

8. GreenAustin macrumors member

It might open up, but really you don't need it for anything but payments. The other use cases for it have better tech behind them like BTLE, Beacons, MultiPeer connectivity... It's all their already today. What do you want to use NFC to do?

9. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

10. JerZyT28 thread starter macrumors regular

I use NFC to transfer pictures mainly. And im sure android doesn't have airdrop...my point is, there's a lot to do with NFC and they limited it..

11. questionmark32 macrumors regular

It'll be open for those who like to jailbreak, just like Touch ID was.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
  13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    When my son-in-law comes to visit, we use NFC all the time to share websites, photos, video links, map directions and contacts.

It's so much easier when someone is right next to you, to just touch and transfer. No fuss, not setup, no selecting who to send it to, etc.

14. sooner518 macrumors member

i guess i dont see how NFC sending something is quicker/easier than SMS/iMessage.....

15. DVDxR macrumors regular

I imagine it will be like touchID and you will hear about it being opened up next summer at WWDC as part of iOS 7.

Honestly I have NFC on my Android phones and I've never used it for anything. There isn't really much it can do that I want it to and that can't be done some other way. I imagine it will be the same on my 6+ (when I finally get it :mad:)

Really just interested in Apple Pay and it's ability to push NFC payments in the US market. That would be a boon for any phone user.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Or you know you could just show them. The speed of light from screen to eyeball is faster than touch, transfer, open X whatever on phone.

----------

Exactly. Google just put the technology out there and left it to fend for itself as to how people actually use it for stuff. You need more than that.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Sharing a photo via NFC is just a "nice to have" that no on really uses. 99.9% of people who want to share a photo just texts the photo to the person. Why would you share a photo with a total stranger? Normally you're going to have the person's info in your phone.

18. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

I'd enjoy using NFC tags to change certain settings. I remember reading about tech tiles, and they sounded pretty useful. A sticker on my front door to De/activate Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. On my nightstand to turn on alarms/do not disturb. That and Apple pay are all I would use it for.