Please tell me this an iPod mini scam...

DigitalVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
My girlfriend is selling her slightly used iPod mini on ebay and got this message from a buyer:

Hello seller,i'm most interested in the purchase of ur item,my work as an acheologist has recently taken me to the United Kingdom away from my loved ones in Africa, however i want to acquire ur item for my loved ones in Africa(as a birthday gift for my brother in law's son).and i will be willing to pay $300.00 irrespective of the cost as my utmost desire is acquiring for my loved ones.Payment for the item will be made via Bidpay(western union money order).upon my paying for the item u will be receiving an approval notification confirmation from western union which signifies that ur payment is in transit to u,and it will be delivered to ur postal box upon reaching ur destination,i will require u to reply ASAP,upon getting the approval confirmation notification so that shipping arrangements can be made ASAP.i will also be single handedly be responsible for shipping as i have an account with both FED-EX and DHL and i will be using either of the two to pick up the item from ur location

I mean, this is a scam right? I just want to make sure from the experts. Thankx.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Big hints:

(1) Paying more than the item is worth.

(2) Endless babbling about why they're buying it.

(3) Western Union.

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
Of course it's a scam, but the important thing to remember as a seller is that you are the one in control. You do not have to send the product to anybody until the check or money order clears. Once you have real money in hand from the transaction, then you can send it.

Otherwise, you're a moron, and are the reason scams like this work!

Bishop

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2005
I'm surprised that scammer didn't say that he was buying the iPod for the surviving member of a Nigerian Royal Family...

As for the P-P-Powerbook link...
http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Sounds like a scam to me. Besides it being against eBay policy for buyers to contact sellers directly to purchase said item (doing an "end-run" around eBay) and thereby avoiding eBay fees.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Any acheologist (or other "intelligent" professional) that uses "ur" instead of "you're" is one I won't sell to legit or not. I know my grammar/spelling isn't the best all the time and typos are permissible but... then again maybe that's just one of my pet peeves.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
That looks like it was written by a 12 year old, you'd think they could at least put a little effort into their scams.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
jsw said:
Big hints:

(1) Paying more than the item is worth.

(2) Endless babbling about why they're buying it.

(3) Western Union.
Actually $300 is what it's worth if he is in the UK. £179 at the current exchange rate is $320. If he's that desperate, accept his offer, wait for the money from Western Union and then send it. Having said that it all screams scam.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
it sure seems like a scam, BUT...

if he is paying through western union, and you get the money, and you only send the ipod after you have money in hand, i don't see how it would work. usually they make YOU pay THEM through western union so you can't get any of it back. seems like you should be able to make it work the same way, just in reverse. interesting...

anyway, i would probably still stay away from it, but it has potential.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
ChrisFromCanada said:
LOL!!!!

It was so funny - the computer pic!!!

And what would have made it funnier, but not really...

printing out a Microsoft logo and pasting it to the bottom of the P-P-P-Powerbook then crossing it out and writing "Its an Apple!!!'

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Bishop said:
I'm surprised that scammer didn't say that he was buying the iPod for the surviving member of a Nigerian Royal Family...

As for the P-P-Powerbook link...
http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/
hahahaha..that was so funny. What in the end actualy happened. I would have loved to have seen the face of that scammer when he opened the p-p-p-powerbook..

DjVoTeZ

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
DigitalVideo said:
I mean, this is a scam right? I just want to make sure from the experts. Thankx.
I'm sure that you'll find almost exact copies of the letter that you received in the letters section of this anti-scam site. Only locations, and objects desired change from letter to letter. Note how virtually all of them require you to ship your item ASAP and most of them are willing to pay more than what you're asking for it.

It's worth your while to read through a few of them, both for their educational and entertainment value.

http://www.419eater.com/