Please tell me this is what your restore screens look like (and not a defect)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkess, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jkess, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

jkess macrumors member

Post a pic of your restore screen please! :)

EDIT: I am outside in the sun and couldn't see the pic well. the little bright lines on the side ARE reflections of the recessed lighting above. I am asking about the variations in the main part of the screen like how it looks wavy/uneven, primarily on the bottom half. Sorry! I didn't get a good look at the pic before I posted haha. The three brightest spots (two on right, one on left) are glares/reflections. Sorry to scare people/not tryin to troll.

Attached Files:

2. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Reminds me of my iPad 3 search for a screen that didn't look like a crap. That's a lot of light leak in my opinion.

3. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Oh my god is that the backlight or is that a light in your room!? That looks horrible.

4. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Okay yeah, thought so. We will see what it looks like when the phone is up and running haha.

----------

Phone backlight! RIIIIGGHHHT??

5. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Oh my god return that ASAP that's horrific!

7. bobright macrumors 601

OMG here we go again not this horrible backlight bleeding again:eek::mad:

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

9. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Haha well I got it from Verizon so ****!

10. bobright macrumors 601

What week is yours?

11. donster28 macrumors 65816

That's normal!

I'm more concerned about the light leak on your phone, just like others have noticed. But I'm thinking that's just the reflection of your room.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I posted about this too!

My restore screen looked IDENTICAL!

Plus, my restore failed so I can't even test out some other content on the screen.

Yep, my restore screen looked identical, I bet they are all this way!

13. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It's the iPad Air all over again.....

14. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Oh shoot, didn't mean to start identical threads. Okay, glad to hear that though. They're like "let's make the screen all gradient-ey and mess with everyone while their restore takes 2 hours and they don't know if their phone is broken."

Your restore failed? After how long? Have you tried again?

15. MasterTick macrumors 6502

nope

16. techn9ne macrumors member

Holy smokes the backlight on that looks like a dingaling put the thing together. Maybe you just messed with the lighting or filtered the photo/brightness or something but it looks quite messed up. I know it's unrelated to your restore issue, but I'd be looking to take that back to Verizon asap personally.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My restore failed after about 30 minutes. It said the phone might not be compatible with the backup?

Anyway, you didn't start a new thread as I only added that comment to another thread, no worries.

I'm GLAD you started this thread so we can follow others with this issue. This reminds me of the awful backlighting on the iPad 2. I completely skipped iPad 2 because of it.

It seems to be the backlighting gets worse as they go to thinner devices.

I noticed on an all black screen that the issue wasn't there, it seems to be the "restore in progress," in the middle of the screen that causes this backlight issue to show up.

We could swap these phones, but I bet they would always have some level of this backlight issue.

----------

Did you restore a iPhone 6 MasterTick? I know from dealing with iPad 2s and some iMacs, that these backlight issues tend not to be a "one off," but a complete generation problem.

Everyone thinks they will get a better one, but it's highly unlikely. I have only noticed it on this particular screen so far, with the text right in the middle of the black screen. This may be why others have not noticed it. Of course, I haven't been on too many screens other than this one since I am battling this restore.

18. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Hmm yeah, I'm sure they will figure it out and hook us up if it is a real problem people are running into! Or at least that would be my guess. Did you have iOD 7 on old phone? Like you hadn't installed iOS 8 on it? That's my sitch but the restore has been going fine so far. Almost done. Does anyone know if it matters that I hadn't updated to 8 yet?

----------

Not sure, how do I tell?

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I had iOS 8 on the iPhone 5S.

My second restore has failed too.

20. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I did restore successfully with no light bleed. I'm on a 6+ for what it's worth.

21. jkess, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

jkess thread starter macrumors member

Was the restore off of iOS7 or 8? Not that that would matter for the light bleed. Just curious if this ish is gonna work even though I hadn't upgraded

22. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

That's good to know. 6+ might not have the issue. Thanks for letting us know!!! All information is helpful like this.

Unrelated to light bleed, but I deleted my 5S backup, making a fresh backup, and then will try restoring again.

24. jkess thread starter macrumors member

baaahhhh

----------

Oh good luck! It looks like mine worked. I think.

25. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

jkess - While I was making a fresh backup, I played with the phone as a new phone. I don't see the backlight issue too much in normal phone usage, do you? Again, I haven't done a lot.

It seems that restore screen just really emphasized it, don't you think?

Hope yours is looking ok too.