Please Vote: Should I buy a Macbook Pro now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetrystero, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. thetrystero macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2009
    I know that there's a gigantic thread on this forum about the pros and cons of buying now vs waiting for Arrandale, but I wanted to get a quick poll for my specific situation before hitting that "confirm" button. I'm planning to get the 2.26GHz 13" Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM and 250GB harddrive for a little over $1200 (with the education discount). In addition, I'm planning to get a 20+" LCD (probably a samsung, definitely TN) to use in dual monitor mode with the MBP. This will have to last me a good 2-3 years before my budget will allow me to upgrade. I'm using the computer mainly to watch movies, listen to Podcasts, recording/sequencing in Logic and Mathematica. I also want to start doing some web development in Rails, which I've been putting off mainly because the thought of having to watch the spinning wheel for half my waking life puts me in a sort of numb limbo.

    My current computer is a 2001 Dual USB 12" iBook, 500MHz, 80GB harddrive, 320MB RAM, OS 10.4 which I purchased back in the Summer of 2001. That puts it at close to 8 years old. It has served me well, but it was way past its use-by date even two years ago and using it has been an increasing pain ever since. There are many signs why it would be hazardous to my health to wait any longer, including (but not limited) to:

    1. I can watch about 30% of the videos on youtube, but not before downloading them using Video Downloadhelper in Firefox and then playing them in VLC. The other 70% runs at about 1fps even after downloading and playing in VLC.

    2. My hard drive is making loud clicking sounds.

    3. I have to wait for the colorful disc to spin for about 20seconds when switching from "Library" to "podcasts" on the navigation panel in iTunes.

    4. I have to wait for about 10 seconds when switching between tabs in Firefox.

    5. I usually walk downstairs to the kitchen to make myself a drink while waiting for Firefox to start-up.

    6. I can be learning quite a lot about website development in the 6 months that I spend waiting for Arrandale, if it even comes that soon.

    OK, I guess you get the picture. So, should I wait, or should I buy?
  2. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

    Dec 19, 2006
    It sounds like you have your mind made up, just need a few people to justify it for you. lol But you already justified why you should get it. Most of the time people say that, if you need it, get it now. If you want it, and can wait, then perhaps you should wait. I say go for it, it sounds like your current pc is a ticking time bomb of a computer waiting to give out. I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. Sure, things will be updated down the road, but what gets updated in the future won't change the machine you buy now. It sounds like it'll be an amazing one at that, I'm jealous of all the people buying the MBPs now. But I myself have a few months to wait, just because I don't need it right now and I can wait. Congratulations getting a new Mac =]
  3. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

    Jun 9, 2009
    Too long/Didn't read.

    Q: Do you need a new computer? (YES/NO)

    If you answered "YES" to the above question, then buy a new MacBook Pro.

    If you answered "NO", continue using your current machine.

    Thank you and have a nice day.
  4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I would get one now. The 13" macbook will serve you well for your needs.
  5. spillproof macrumors 68020


    Jun 4, 2009
    I don't mean anything personally, but if its paining you this much, why are you waiting? For what you want to do, that should serve you well for at least 4 years.
  6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

    May 21, 2009
    you have to take into account that when the new line is brought out it will likely come with a nice fat intro price tag. You're probably going to convince yourself for the first round of price drops....

    game over. you need a new computer.
    based on your current system and habits, god knows what you would need with more processing power and memory than a contemporary macbook pro....
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Holy crap, you've used that machine exclusively for seven years?!? :eek: Why are you waiting for Arrendale, are you afraid you haven't gotten your money's worth out of the G3 iBook? :D

    ANY intel mac, made at ANY time will blow your ibook out of the water. This would include the first gen intel mac mini with the core solo processor.

    You've held onto a laptop for eight years, and it sounds like your hard drive is dying. I normally recommend maxing the ram and putting in a faster hard drive, but this makes no sense. Geez, I don't even know if I could recommend spending $30 for a ram upgrade!

    If ol' Bessie is acting up now, I'm not sure she can even hold on until the new processors come out.

    Assuming that money is tight (which, under the circumstances is reasonable, or you're the most stubborn person I've ever met) a base 13" mbp now would be justified. They've just updated the lineup, so you'll get a few months of having the most up to date processor and features.

    And if they update to quads in six months, so what? Apple's updated at least three major revisions to its laptop line (g4's, core duos and core 2 duo's) while you've been busy on your iBook.
  8. thetrystero thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2009

    Thanks for all your replies.
    Just made the purchase today, coming this Saturday!!!

    13" 2.26, 4GB RAM. Looks like I'll be going shopping for a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue this weekend.

  9. teleromeo macrumors 65816


    Dec 2, 2006
    kidnapped by aliens
    A lot of the speed issues you had with you iBook could have been solved with more ram, OsX 10.4 needs it. Still, you made the right decision to order a new machine.

Share This Page