PLEASE VOTE: Which SIM Card Do You Have? Signal Issues? (PIC)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Jun 30, 2010.

?

Which card do you have and do you have issues?

1. Left Card -- No Issues

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Left Card -- Signal Issues

94 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Right Card -- No Issues

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Right Card -- Signal Issues

35 vote(s)
    18.6%
  5. I don't feel like taking my sim card out because I suck.

41 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

There's talk that the type of sim card you have may be related to the signal issues...I know, it doesn't seem to make any sense, but neither does Apple releasing an iPhone in its current state either, so bear with me.

Please know that coloring may vary slightly, but the layout of the contacts is what (might be) important.

[​IMG]

EDIT: For some background, this idea originated from a macrumors poster who mentioned that his signal issues went away when AT&T replaced his sim.

2. ndpitch macrumors 6502

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A description of the SiM's specifics, that you want, would be helpful. Maybe a poll as well.

I have the one on the left. Its yellow/red without the little blue 3G icon on the copper side.

4. ironbutterflies macrumors newbie

The last option in the poll is the reason why I will not be voting. Some people won't take their SIM cards out because they dont have an issue and don't want to risk messing up their phone, not because they suck.

5. joshw59 macrumors newbie

I have the one on the right but the coloring isn't exactly the same. Might clarify that the layout of the contacts is what's important here.

Signal issues since day one.

6. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

i have the one without the 3g logo.

Signal issues.

7. shawntkeating macrumors member

AT&T did not replace jav6454's sim. They just took it out put it in another phone and then put it back into his old phone, which he went home with.

jav6454 has the sim on the left.

After reading jav6454's experience at the apple store, I came up with the theory about the sim card contacting the sim tray and finally contacting the antenna.

This lead to an explosion of mixed results. Keep in mind there are also mixed circumstances though.

I am interested in what this poll will show.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Why someone in the UK would have an AT&T microSIM???

9. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or is it quite a bit harder to take out the i4 sim than previous devices? At least the sim tray is a lot stronger than my 3G's was.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

Don't forget to normalize the results to account for the different percentages of the left card and right card in the MacRumors population.

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

12. Yerman164 macrumors newbie

My O2 (UK) sim card looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have major problems when using the death grip, massive reduction in signal bars and also data speeds.

13. newagemac macrumors 68020

This is what I call a faulty poll. If you aren't having problems and there is evidence that moving or repositioning the sim causes problems, why would you remove your sim?

It's not because you "suck" and the poll results will obviously be skewed.

14. shawntkeating macrumors member

Thats like saying you will never change the oil in your car because you don't want to open the hood.

I think the poster using "suck" is him implying that people that don't want to risk opening their sim trays in fear of creating the problem, are people that suck because they are not contributing to the greater good.

Yes, some claim it made the problem happen where previously it did not but in the grand scheme of things, it is a good idea to get as many people to report their findings as possible.

15. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I have same MicroSIM just on Vodafone. And have problems. Looking at other threads I think the issue is the gold metal is making contact with the metal on the MicroSIM tray.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Pascual macrumors newbie

Just to chip in my story. My vodafone sim looks just like that and I'm also having signal issues :(

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

wow,

Wow, it will be really interesting to see how this pans out. At the moment, the majority have the LEFT sim with issues, that could just be.

A) there is a LEFT SIM problem,

B) ALL phones have the problem and LEFT SIM's are the majority out there

C) All SIM's have the problem (and most likely then all phones) but LEFT SIM's are the most prevalent in the USA where this board gets the majority of traffic - and therefore reporting.

19. Pascual macrumors newbie

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It's not the sim More than likely. More people than not have tried tape and such with no effects. A couple people pull out their sims, reseat them and the placebo effect starts.

FWIW - I have the sim on the right and have issues.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not checking...mine works fine. Afraid if I mess with it too much I'll start having issues. ;)

23. shawntkeating macrumors member

This type of thinking is just delaying the inevitable.

Why would you want to ignore a problem, just to have it eventually happen to you by bumping the phone hard or something.

At least if you take the sim card out now and put it back in you can contribute to the cause.

24. honeytoast macrumors regular

I have the left one. I put some tape on the tray to block metal to metal contact but it did nothing. I still have major issues.

25. Excluse macrumors member

Left card and I can replicate the death grip antenna problem. It doesn't really bother me though.
    I'm right-handed and I use a headset most of the time anyway. :p