Please with port fwd my "router"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daveIT, Nov 10, 2007.

1. daveIT macrumors member

*Post title - Please help with port fwd my "router"

I'm having a problem figuring out how to port forward on my computer. I'm trying to get Transmission to work with port 50001. I have dial-up DSL connection with a Paradyne 6381-A3 modem. I've used Transmission before a few months ago, and the only thing I've changed is updating to Leopard. I have Transmission added to the firewall and allowed.

I have figured out that if I set my computer (Ethernet 1 in Network Config) to static IP 192.168.1.2 that I can then get into my "router configuration" on my modem by putting 192.168.1.1 in my browser. I can do this even while connected to my ISP with a 216.xx.xx.xx address.

Once I get in there though I am lost. How do I set it up so that I can port forward? I click the 'Port Forwarding' option, but it tells me I need to setup a LAN client first. The website I've been using to try to figure this out does not mention this (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Paradyne/6381-A3/Utorrent.htm)

When I try to put in my 216.xx.xx.xx address it tells me it needs to be in the 192.xx.xx.xx network. If I put the static IP 192.168.1.2, what do I put for the DNS stuff? If I put the 216.xx.xx.xx servers then the modem times out and gives me a Internal Configuration error and I can't do anything until I reset it.

I'm sorry for sounding like such a noob. I've been reading different information, but none of it is making sense.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What model router do you have? It's home IP looks like a Linksys - knowing what router you're running (model and firmware version) might help, because the setup pages vary a bit between some models.

3. daveIT thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a separate router. My Paradyne 6381-A3 modem has one built in.