Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
i hear some noise in my macbook pro and i dont know the reason.
i tried everything to fix such as reseting SMC but it didnt fix.
I dont really know the reason. Is it because i upgraded my mac os x from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 and should i format my computer?
the noise is not that much however when i compare it to other mac it seems that something is wrong.
the noise is from the fan beside the mouse pad.
please help me to solve this problem

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What kinda noise is it? Like humming fan noise or clicking or grumbling hard drive? Could you record it and post it?

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Oh no…….There’s no fan near the trackpad on the MBP. Does it sound like a heavy vibration? I’m asking because the HDD is next to the Trackpad and it might be going out.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
pleaseeeeeeeeeee tell me what kind of noise it is!
Beep, click, burp, fart etc.

saeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
its like sound of vibration...:( i dont know if it is because of fan or its from HDD.and i dont know what to do if it is because of HDD

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
It could well be one of the bearings going on your HD spindle, does the computer beach ball at all whilst it's vibrating?

As for what to do, buy a new HD unscrew bottom of the case, put new one in (make sure you use an antistatic wristband of some sort to avoid frying the computer) re-install os x, hey presto all fixed.

PS I'd get any critical data off the computer pretty soonish before the HD dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.