Plenty of haters, any owners among them?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lcseds, Apr 17, 2015.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Many haters on the forum knocking the new Macbook. I'm sure they don't actually own one. But, to be sure, how about you actual OWNERS? Any regrets? Not interested in any more empty comments from non owners, just want to know if any owners are planning on returning the Macbook for something else.

2. close2reality macrumors 6502

Do you need to go grab a handful of fresh dog crap and examine it to know it's not worth holding?

I'm sorry man, it's just my nature.

Honestly, from the sounds of it. Most users like it. Any lack of specs are superceded by the design and simplicity of the machine....

I'm not an owner, but from what i've read...thats it.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Actual owner here: I own both the rMB and the rMBP. At first, I was sure I would keep the rMB. I brought it to work today and was pretty frustrated to be honest.

The UI lag was worse (not a ton, but enough) than on my rMBP. I tried everything to make it equal (yes there is still some on the rMBP with yosemite). The actual chin? on the rMB made typing awkward for me. On the pro I rest my wrist on the chin surrounding the trackpad. With the rMB it is too small to do this. I had to find somewhere to place my wrist. This may not be a problem for someone on the go, but sitting at a desk and typing on it felt weird.

The screen was also just small enough that it was bothersome. I used it as a laptop at work today vs. actually docking up like I normally do. I wanted to get a good feel for the screen size. On paper 12" and 13.3" does not sound like a lot, but it really is.

SSD speeds are widely inconsistent. It may not matter in real life performance, but it messes with my mind (that is what matters to me). I fear that if I had problems with the UI on the current OS, would there be a problem in the future?

All in all I have decided to keep my rMBP. I do actually like the feel of the keyboard better than the rMB. Both Keyboards are good, I just like to "feel" the keys if that makes sense.

I was all about the one port idea so I would not have an octopus rMBP at work but, it is both faster (noticeable IMO) and the screen size different is enough for me to want the pro instead. Oh, and the trackpad on the rMB does feel different than the 2015 rMBP. It is more sticky. My finger didn't travel as well across it.

4. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

Strange because the trackpad of the rMB and the 2015 rMBP are the same principle.

5. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Why do you even waste your time trolling around and posting junk like that? You're not an owner. You heard stuff from other people who also aren't owners. You formed an (uneducated, unexperienced) opinion. You spend time expressing that opinion in a polemical manner, criticizing a product and those who have, in your estimation, been foolish enough to purchase it.
    You know, living in that arrogant, critical, judgmental, hateful world of your is sheer misery. I'd encourage you to leave it behind, and become a more accepting and irenic person.

6. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

I was very skeptical of the new MacBook and posted several times how I don't get why someone would spend $1300 on an underpowered laptop when they could get a rMBP 13 for the same price. I got the MacBook to test it our and I really like it so far. Nowhere near the slouch many thought it would be. Im not going to be editing photos and videos on it full time but I may be keeping it.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It's the same technology but the actual feel on the outside it's almost like they're a different finish

8. close2reality macrumors 6502

you either teach philosophy or read it.

9. enduser99 macrumors newbie

Sounds like you and I have almost identical experience. Read my review threadhere, I'm returning mine.

Your points about the keyboard "resting area" are the same for me, and also the UI lag. Also, I agree about the screen size, but I think the Retina high resolution and scaling could solve that, I think I could live with 12" instead of 13", so I give the display a winning vote and the main reason I would have considered keeping it.

It's a bummer, because I am super into high mobility and FANLESS. I think notebooks are going the way cellphones did... they good ridiculously small to the point where ergonomics were sacrificed, and then they grew back up in size to become useful again(albeit partly because of the smarphone revolution). I think the RMB is pushing the envelope as far as size -- I would never seriously consider going smaller for a keyboard-based device, that's for sure. I

10. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I wonder how much the return rate of people that just want to try stuff out is included in the $1300 price tag.

11. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

I tried it out at the Apple store, I think the keyboard will take some time to get used too, but I would buy a new macbook (SG) if I needed a new laptop.