Plenty of MBP Problems. Did I get a lemon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Costa Del Sol, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Costa Del Sol macrumors newbie

Hello,

My MBP has been serviced 3 times now, 2 for DVD drive replacement and 1 for keyboard backlight.

Last issue was very recent, got it back on this Sunday and now today, it has a burning smell.

I purchased it back in August and now I'm worried that I may have problems in the future. It is still under warranty but in 3 weeks I'll be leaving for my home country and they don't have a strong apple service there. I'd have to ship it to US, customs issues...ugh. Electronic devices do break down, but 4 issues in 8~ months sounds like it'll cause problems in the future.

Should I ask for a replacement? If I do, think they'd honor? Of course it could be caused by a simple issue but, burning smell, I don't know.

This is my 4th MBP and first time going through this many issues.

Oh and one more question, I still have my old MBP and I'm planning to format this completely and move all the data to that one. Can I just do that with my time machine HD?

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

3. erure macrumors regular

I would make a genius bar appointment for the burning smell, take it to the apple store, and explain your situation and ask for a replacement. The key is to ask and not demand. If the genius refuses, then ask to speak to a store manager and explain your situation. Honestly it depends on the store manager you talk to -- I've talked to super polite store managers that I wanted to hug and store managers that I wanted to punch in the face. Hmm. I'm not sure what they will do -- if they're awesome they might replace with the newer MacBook Pros that came out but if they have the older MacBook Pros in clearance, they might give you one of those, or maybe a refurb. But the problems you listed sound kind of minor, at least compared to other major incidents like hard drive failing or motherboard dying. I know that apple store's general rule of thumb is that they replace if you're under AppleCare and you had three separate issues (the burning smell could count as a third incident). Anyway, it never hurts to try -- the worst thing they could do is refuse and just repair, which would still be better than the current situation. Good luck :)

4. Costa Del Sol thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't care less about DVD-Drive replacements as they are very minor, but burning smell got me worried a lot.

5. mackage macrumors 6502

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

7. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Def get a whole new one. Tell them you have wasted a lot of time and had a lot of aggravation.

8. Locodice macrumors regular

lol!

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

They need to replace that sucker. Make sure you let them know you do NOT want them to repair it and you want either a replacement or an outright refund, as you would prefer to not have your house burn down. If the bar gives you crap, call Apple directly and they will do more. Actually, call customer relations outright before anything else as they are better equipped for this and can make it right.

So yes, you have a lemon and Apple is indeed obligated to replace it.

10. Costa Del Sol, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

Costa Del Sol thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, its me again :)

I've called customer relations after the burning smell issue. The first representative I talked to was very nice but he told me that he doesn't have the power to decide a replacement. So, he connected me to a senior.

I went through the repairs but the senior refused a replacement, and I took my MBP back with the logic board replaced yesterday.

End of the story? Nope.

Now I'm experiencing severe problems again. The screen gets scrambled and the laptop crashes every 3-4 hours of usage. Happened 3 times on the day I got the computer back.

I purchased it in late august and so far...

1. Combo Drive malfunctioned, replaced.
    2. Keyboard Backlight repaired.
    3. Combo Drive failed again, scratched my disks, replaced.
    4. Started emitting burning smell, logic board replaced.

and now,

5. Computer crashes every 3-4 hours, have to hard-reset.

I don't want this computer anymore. I'll call apple again tomorrow. Apple Store is 2 hours away from me (4 back and forth) and I'm sick of carrying this for repair. Not to mention all the valuable time I spend without a laptop (i.e. my trip last week) and all the back up-format-reinstall cycle.

Sigh. I hope I can get a replacement or a refund this time, I don't trust this machine anymore. In the middle of all house moving stuff, tornado I feel like a chauffeur for my employer, Mr. MBP :x

11. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Understand. But honestly? If I were you, I'd just go to the store and get it done. Show them the problems and they WILL replace it.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You are most likely legally entitled to a refund regardless of what Apple may say, especially since their defective product is a blatant safety hazard. If need be, get familiar with the law and mention Magnuson Moss if it comes down to that. If they fail to refund you (if you are legally entitled), they can be forced to pay you significantly more than the cost of the original product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

13. Costa Del Sol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I'd call genius bar today but all phone lines are down here. Since they refused to replace it even with the burning smell issue I was a little annoyed with the progress.

Hopefully tomorrow's will be my last 4 hour travel with my computer to the store :)

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Most of the time Apples very good at offering a replacement. Other times you have to be very demanding. They Will replace it. That's the right thing to do for you.

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

At this point, why are you still dealing with the idiots at an Apple retail store? Call Apple corporate and get this replacement moving along. Enough already.

16. adrian1480 macrumors 6502