Plex, a VPN and macOS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fridgeymonster3, May 8, 2017.

1. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I'm not really sure in which thread to put this. I recently subscribed to PIA because I wanted a VPN. However, PIA does not play nice with Plex. About 98% of the time I use my plex server on my local network, which isn't affected by PIA. However, sometimes I like to access my Plex server from outside my network and that's just not feasible. Does anyone here have a VPN that plays well with Plex? I'm running 10.12.3 if it matters. Thanks!

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Why not just set up Plex for external access? No need to run a vpn. Take in mind that Plex may need to transcode depending on your upstream. I only have a 5Mbps upstream and have to transcode my 1080p movies to 720p since minimum upstream for 1080p is 8Mbps (I think).

3. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

That's the issue. I'm looking for a VPN that easily allows me to configure Plex for external access. PIA doesn't allow for this easily, especially not on macOS. There is a windows script that allows it but I don't want to run windows.

Edit: I choose to use a VPN for all my internet traffic.

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Plex allows external connection via server settings. Just need to configure the port and your router. Take in mind using a can "slow down" the speed, especially when using OpenVPN protocol.

5. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Plex isn't the issue. PIA doesn't support port forwarding in a way that works with Plex. I'm looking for a VPN that someone here uses that works with Plex on macOS.

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I guess I'm still unclear as to what you're trying to accomplish. Is your mac your Plex server or client?

7. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

My Mac is my Plex server. I have Private Internet Access (a vpn) running 24/7. PIA does not allow port forwarding in a manner that works with Plex unless you run a windows script called Xflak. I'm looking for a VPN that allows port forwarding or works with Plex.

8. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I know that when I use a vpn on my Mac which is a client, I can connect to my Plex server (which is Windows) remotely. Same if I use Plex on my iPhone using a vpn.

9. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Is the Plex server behind a VPN? I've never had an issue on the client side either, I'm only talking about the server side.

10. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Gotcha. I was thinking you were trying to connect to your server from a client running a vpn. Not sure I can help you on that one.

May I ask the reasoning as to why you have your Plex server on a vpn at all times?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Is your Mac running the VPN client software and updating a Dynamic DNS service or is your router acting as the VPN client and doing that? Seems like it would work OK with a VPN if the router is the client.