Plex.. am I missing something? How do I install it ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdaniel, Jun 4, 2016.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Hi guys I must be missing something I am on 7.2.1 I think Apple TV 2, and I cannot seem to find the icon for app store on my apple tv, is app store only going to show up in the US or how is this supposed to work? pictures would be great so I can see if I am just missing it or it is really not there. Thanks !

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The App Store is only available on the Apple TV 4

3. schlotz macrumors member

What you need is two pieces. Plexconnect and then Plex Media Server. Both can run on the same computer. You then add a profile to your AppleTV so that it hijacks the 'trailers' app and points it to plexconnect. More info can be found here> https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

that I already have, I just didn't know AppStore was only available in the new Apple TV

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I believe plexconnect commandeers the trailers application on the AppleTV 2, so if you've followed all the instructions on the install guide I see there should be no issue.

You have not mentioned where your plex media server is sitting.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First Plex is system consisting of a media sever and client app! The media sever serves your media to clients apps. Server runs on computers and now modern NAS boxes like Synology Play NAS boxes Or Qnap Certain NAS boxes. The run the client software on the On App Store and connect to sever software running on your Network.

7. Tech198 macrumors G4

The feeling seems mutual for the 3rd gen as well. Glad to see it intsall changed

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I know about the hijack I already have that I just thought that App Store was for the previous generation too

9. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

The App Store was announced as a new feature for the ATV4 when it was launched, there was never any suggestion it being available for older devices.

10. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Can't imagine they'd have sold many aTV4 if the App Store was made available on earlier devices. Let's be honest, it doesn't offer that much more and I would have probably stuck with my aTV3 (with optical out) if it had an App Store.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Its graphical cababilities far outperforms earlier versions, so theres good gaming potential.

12. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

My iPad 2 is still capable of playing some games and that has the same A5 processor as the aTV3.

13. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Ok, but they really should have done SOMETHING to future-proof it:

- only 10/100 ethernet
    - no 4k support
    - BT 4.0 (but not BT LE???)
    - IR Receiver (why the h--- is this still hanging around?)

...and there shouldn't have been a remote at all - just have the remote app with all of the features in the app store for iPhone and iPad when it was launched.

Sorry, not updating any of my ATV3 hardware until there's actually a real benefit to doing so.

14. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I have a Apple TV 4 and its amazing! Sold my AppleTV3 right before the 4 was announce! got the new one! I use it for Plex and Infuse! kicks ass!!!! Kids use it for games and Nickolodian and all the other stuff! Cant beat it!!!

15. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'm very happy that I upgraded my 3 to a 4, although I might have held on a bit longer if the App Store was available on the 3.

16. waw74 macrumors 68030

A lot of people still use smart remotes, like the harmony family.

If you've got a cable box, or other gear like a Blu-ray player that you want to control, and don't want a pile of remotes, the IR port is quite necessary.

I personally have stopped using my harmony, in favor of using apple's remote all the time, but eventing I watch is on the aTV, (except for amazon :mad:, which I drag out that remote to watch directly on the TV)

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

4k can be played using 10/100 ports. The ethernet 10/100 isnt really a problem here. But the lack of 4k is, if you want it.