Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
So does anyone know if this requires another computer running some kind of flex server? Or can it just connect directly to my synology NAS? Never really used Plex before.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Yes, it needs a Plex server. It is available for some NAS devices.

I run mine on an older Mac mini.
OK, actually now that you mention that its available for some NAS devices I believe there is a plex synology app in their app area. Maybe I will play around with it tonight. Thanks!!

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
OK, actually now that you mention that its available for some NAS devices I believe there is a plex synology app in their app area. Maybe I will play around with it tonight. Thanks!!

If your media format requires it to be transcoded then running it on a NAS is not a very good experience. MOST (read: MOST) NAS do not have adequate processing power to transcode video on the fly. Some do, but they are the expensive ones. You're better running it off a Mac/PC.

Reactions: AtheistP3ace

berno

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Northwest UK
I have the PMS running on my Synology and can see content via web, but not via ATV4. did you do anything special?
Nothing special other than manually install the latest version of PMS for Synology from the Plex site rather than the version offered by Synology Package Manager.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
Can Plex also stream your iTunes Digital Copy movies? I would like to have everything in one place to stream and really like the UI of Plex. Thanks!
Macaddict16

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Can Plex also stream your iTunes Digital Copy movies? I would like to have everything in one place to stream and really like the UI of Plex. Thanks!
Macaddict16

Yeah I was wondering the same thing ... iTunes download all go to one master folder regardless if its movies or tv shows and then splits each movie and tv shows in individual folders. Sounds like a mess for the Media Server to see witch are movies or tv shows ... I guess you have to move everything around to arrange per Plex Media Server requirements ... but then ... iTunes wont be able to find your downloaded movies (witch can be a pain in the a** when you go to your purchase tab in the itunes store (want to download just missing movies from hard drive) and itunes thinks you dont have nothing on your hard drive and just shows you all your history ...

Cant have it both ways I gues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.