Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Anyone else having trouble with Plex audio playback on 4K Apple TV randomly stopping while the video continues? Ever since updating to TVOS 17, I seem to have this problem albeit not with every show. I have reset the my Apple TV, as well as set up as new. The bedroom Apple TV is still on TVOS 16.6 and doesn't have this problem.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Any difference in the encoding codec for the videos that play vs the videos that drop the audio?

Personally have never seen this problem.

SqurlESqurl

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023
I am having this exact issue, and around the same timing as you; I’m also on tvOS 17.0. For me the problem happens when I try to pause (audio stops but video continues); or some files will start playback with no audio to begin with.

I don’t know much about encoding… but interestingly if I change the playback quality from Play Original Quality to Convert to 1080P HD, the problem goes away entirely. However, quite annoying to have to do this for every video…

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
For what it is worth, I have had no such issue with Infuse running x265 material from Plex Server, so it appears to be a Plex client issue.

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Has anyone been able to work this out? Every movie I play from Plex now has the audio cut out after a few minutes. All other apps still have sound. I’ve got this issue on two Apple TVs - 1 connected to two stereo HomePods and the other connected to a Sonos 7.1 system.

Really frustrating

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Has anyone been able to work this out? Every movie I play from Plex now has the audio cut out after a few minutes. All other apps still have sound. I’ve got this issue on two Apple TVs - 1 connected to two stereo HomePods and the other connected to a Sonos 7.1 system.

Really frustrating
I reinstalled Plex on my Synology NAS (along with Infuse) and replaced some problematic show files and things are back to normal for me (thus far).

Make sure you are running the lastest Plex release. You may have to go the route I did. If using an Apple TV, make sure you have match content enabled etc. I have read several posts online of people having your same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.