Plex Media Server - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MuRReC, Jul 20, 2014.

1. MuRReC, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

MuRReC macrumors newbie

Just need to know if there are another Media Server software that is superior to Plex?!

2. tech3475 macrumors regular

Is this just for local or remote content and what are you playing it on?

You could try ps3 media server or universal media server (don't use them myself though as I use Plex).

What is wrong with Plex?

3. MuRReC thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing wrong with Plex as far as I know, but coming from PC my knowledge on OS X is very limited.

I did install it and it works, BUT my Panasonic P50G30Y won't accept the video when I try to use subtitles :(

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can try XBMC. It's quite popular. I'm puzzled why subtitles don't work. Since the TV is just acting like a monitor. Is it one of those internet TV's and have some sort of Plex App or something of the sort?

5. nexus4life macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I did some extensive research on this recently, and it seems that SO FAR - Plex is by far the best option. But there are definitely some projects in the works that are trying to become as good, if not better. And I do believe that is possible.

6. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

You're not using Plex on OS X because you're not familiar with OS X so you're going to wait for something 'better' to use on-OS X? You're correct, Plex is the best, and there have been a lot that have come (and gone) claiming to be better. So far none have even been able to duplicate it. Not that it couldn't happen, it might but why wait for a possibility when the solution is there. sub title requirements is a major % of the Plex user audience. There are many many plugins and automated services that help with this. You should read the forums on subtitles as there's a ton of info on the subject. You can also start off by installing a subtitle plugin channel on pms. You can also install Plex on windows if that helps.