Plex Media Server PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by justperry, Jan 21, 2013.

1. justperry, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

As the title says, I want to run Plex Media Server on my Powerbook.

I am 100% sure there is a PPC Executable, I tried before and got it to launch but I forgot and deleted the Installer.

There is a download page for all/old versions but I don't know which one is Universal/Fat binary.
    Since I have a limited internet connection I don't want to waste it so anyone knows which version has the PMS PPC Executable inside the App bundle?

Cheers Perry

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Plex Media Server was never a universal app. Plex was at one point, but only a fork of it is now.

3. wobegong Guest

Try XBMC, the latest stable version (11) is fully PPC compatible (I use it on my PMG5) and its smooth and reliable.

4. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

I think you are wrong here Intell, there was a PMS PPC Executable inside the App, if you moved that to /Library/Application Support/Plex/plex Media server and run it it worked.
    I did this a couple of years ago but didn't have anything with a client on it so I got rid of it, and it ran on my PPC machine.(Really true)
    I also went to search for it and some say it did work at one time.
    Not only that, one of the Dev's had it running on a PPC.

I don't need nor want XBMX, I need the PMS server, My TV is looking for it, not for XBMC.
    Anyway, thanks.

5. wobegong Guest

6. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

7. wobegong Guest

8. justperry, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

I know but I had the Executable running 100% sure, now, as I said before there are a few pages on the Plex forums which say there are Fat versions of the PMS inside the Plex app.

You can link me whatever but I myself had it running before, so I know it is there somewhere.

Several people got it to work here.
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/3430-standalone-plex-media-server/

9. ckweb macrumors newbie

ckweb

Everyone, I found a copy of 0.8.5 here: https://anonfiles.com/file/f17a2847c86cb510fa303f982fc0bf9d

10. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

11. ckweb macrumors newbie

ckweb

Well, you never know who might need or simply want to play around with it ;)

12. cw48494 macrumors regular

cw48494

Does this work? I have plenty of PPC and would LOVE to use one as my dedicated PLEX server.

13. ckweb macrumors newbie

ckweb

My honest answer, it should. Following the instructions given by other users in the plex forums, I managed to load it up on a Powerbook G4 laptop running Leopard. The problem for me was that although when I launch the server program and the server menu shows up on the menu bar, once I click on the menu itself, it only displays two out of the nine menu items it should have, which are the "about plex media center" and "quit".

Since others have had success on other G4s, I can only assume that I am missing a small configuration tweak, preference, or setting somewhere. I looked for more info on others successes, but Google has squeezed all it has for me so far.

Maybe someone has that secret piece of this puzzle and will post here (that's part of the reason I hunted this elusive software down in the first place). I had a G5 iMac which I recently setup for afriend whose old setup became way too slow where I could have done an install and more testing with it.

If anyone has a running G4 or G5, like you cw, maybe give it a try, it may just be my setup's got something gumming up the works under my Leopard's OS! :)

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not for me. I'm getting the prohibited symbol - OS X says it's an Intel App. Can't get to the thread linked - dead link - seems Plex changed the forum software.

15. Dannyshing27, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

https://web.archive.org/web/20111104013218/http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Downloads

Is the best link for downloading for testing. As I recall in the past the server ran constantly but it was configured from inside the Plex player. I will have a look into it when I get a spare moment.

For the moment I would consider downloading on old version of plex and setting it up on an intel mac just to see how it all fits together.

16. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

17. ckweb macrumors newbie

ckweb

@ Magicboy - and for anyone trying to run this on a PPC Mac: the PowerPC application is inside the 0.8.5 Intel Plex app.

To get the server app that runs on a PPC Mac, you have to right click the Plex app and select "Show Package Contents". Once the window opens, go into the "Contents" folder, then the "Resources" folder, and finally open the "Plex" folder. Inside, you will see the PowerPC "Plex Media Server" application. Then, drag the application out to use it on your Mac. When you open this app, it will display the Plex menu in your Mac's menu bar.

Ps. For me it only displays an "About Plex Media Server" and "Quit", but hopefully it will work for someone else... I hope this helps!

For others, here is the server app link again. :)

18. ckweb, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

ckweb macrumors newbie

ckweb

Darn, the file hosting site with the application link went down, so here's an updated link, which I hope doesn't bite the dust either.. the file's just too large to upload directly on here! :mad:

https://anonfile.com/vd4eBdbdb9/Plex-v0.8.5.dmg

19. Puchacamilo macrumors newbie

Puchacamilo

I have the same situation, the server 0.9.1.0 it is running on PPC, but I don't know where I can config. have you know how?