Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Hey all,

Plex Server - 0.9.8.5
OSX - 10.8.5

So - I've had this problem with Plex Server since I upgraded from SL to ML. If I don't touch my MBP, the Plex server seems to shut down about 30-40 minutes into a show/film. (If I periodically use the mac, then the server doesn't shut off).

I thought I'd solve it by using Caffeinate to start PMS via an alias in my .bashrc thus:

alias plex='caffeinate -i open -W -a "Plex Media Server.app" &'

but that doesn't solve the issue.

Computer sleep is set to 3 minutes, display to 2 minutes, so that doesn't correspond to the PMS shutting down. Reading around the subject, ML does a lot more process shutting down in the background *I think*, that SL never did.

Any ideas on what should I be looking for in the Plex Media Server.log file to try and ascertain the problem, as they're large.

Any other tips on how to stop the process sleeping?

Thanks!

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Bumpity-bump. Any clues? Something else I've noticed - if the power is plugged in, the server doesn't shut down.

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
This seems to be a foible of osx when it sleeps with the screen open; I think it shuts the wifi down.

So, have tried this:

Code:
sudo pmset -a standy 0

While it's early days, it looks as though it might be the solution. More testing needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.