Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Plex Rolls Out Live TV Support for Over-The-Air Channels Within iOS App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Plex will today begin integrating a live television feature into its popular video streaming and personal media application for iOS and Android TV, allowing Plex subscribers to stream live TV on their smartphones wherever they are located. The company said that live TV is supported only under the Plex Pass subscription tier, which starts at $4.99/month.

To use Plex Live TV, users will have to install a digital antenna, connect a digital tuner, and sync everything to their Plex Pass subscription account. Once set up, subscribers will be able to watch live HD content on channels available over-the-air, from major US networks including ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW, as well as local programming, news, and sports. International programming includes CBC, BBC, ITV, Telemundo, and Univision. As with all live video streaming services, the channels available vary depending on your zip code.

That's right, today we're rolling out support for Live TV! And we're doing it in a truly Plexy way. It's built right in to the Media Server, so you'll be able to stream live (starting with our Android TV and iOS apps, with more to come) anywhere in the world through the power of Plex!
Plex Live TV is launching only on iOS and Android TV right now, but the company mentioned that any content recorded to Plex DVR from a live broadcast can then be watched on any device that Plex supports. With the launch of live TV, Plex has also enhanced its DVR features, allowing overlapping recordings on the same channel, a "smarter" scheduling system, taped show management within the iOS app, and general improvements to the DVR user interface.

Plex has also expanded the supported DVR devices that work with the service so that it's easier than ever to begin using live TV and DVR features. Additionally, the company has rolled out support for a wider array of digital tuners including models from Hauppauge, AVerMedia, DVBLogic and more. Users can find a complete list of supported antennas, tuners, and DVR systems here.

Besides the low-tier $4.99/month option, Plex Pass is available in a $39.99/year tier and $119.99 for a lifetime subscription. Plex said that after launching on iOS and Android TV, more of its apps will gain the live TV feature sometime soon.

Article Link: Plex Rolls Out Live TV Support for Over-The-Air Channels Within iOS App

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Just need this adding to all the clients and a decent EPG and then I'll be able to use Plex for 95% of my media consumption :D

Comment

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Where's here? Assuming you're in the US, no! Plex DVR and now Live TV requires a digital tuner to pick up the OTA broadcast. They aren't streaming live content from around the globe, just giving you the ability to watch and record programmes through a connected device.

Comment

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I got excited for a second, then read the details. Needs an antenna to catch OTA channels? Useless to me. Still waiting for a service that will stream local channels. Playstation Vue is the closest I have seen so far.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Where's here? Assuming you're in the US, no! Plex DVR and now Live TV requires a digital tuner to pick up the OTA broadcast. They aren't streaming live content from around the globe, just giving you the ability to watch and record programmes through a connected device.

If I set it up completely in the U.K. Meaning physically set up the hardware. Then I should be able to watch anywhere via Plex cloud right?

Comment

B.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
Just need this adding to all the clients and a decent EPG and then I'll be able to use Plex for 95% of my media consumption :D
Agreed, they need a better EPG. I use the "channels" app on the apple Tv, and that works well. This might be a good alternative though.

Comment

mudflap

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Not sure why folks are complaining about the antenna. Local stations charge rebroadcast fees to cable TV providers like Comcast which is why we pay an extra fee every month on our cable bill. And the channels are only 720p or 1080i, and they are compressed. OTA channels via a simple, $20 flat antenna you can tack up on your living room wall are free and broadcast at 1080p with no compression. Cable nor streaming cannot hold a candle to OTA, quality-wise.

Comment

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Not sure why folks are complaining about the antenna. Local stations charge rebroadcast fees to cable TV providers like Comcast which is why we pay an extra fee every month on our cable bill. And the channels are only 720p or 1080i, and they are compressed. OTA channels via a simple, $20 flat antenna you can tack up on your living room wall are free and broadcast at 1080p with no compression. Cable nor streaming cannot hold a candle to OTA, quality-wise.

But if we have a working antenna, why use Plex if it's limited to iOS or mobile devices?

How do I even connect a coaxial cable to my phone? /s

Comment

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
i could not figure out from Plex's site alone how something like this would be set up. Why don't they give step by step instructions for dummies? The service sounds interesting, but I don't know what a digital antenna or digital tuner is nor what all other equipment I'd need for DVR purposes. And Plex's site leaves all that totally vague, like they intentionally filter out potential customers who aren't already hard-core cable-cutting experts.

Reactions: Jwhite1
Comment

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
i could not figure out from Plex's site alone how something like this would be set up. Why don't they give step by step instructions for dummies? The service sounds interesting, but I don't know what a digital antenna or digital tuner is nor what all other equipment I'd need for DVR purposes. And Plex's site leaves all that totally vague, like they intentionally filter out potential customers who aren't already hard-core cable-cutting experts.

1-2-3 guide and Supported digital Tuners and Antennas here:

https://www.plex.tv/features/live-tv-dvr/

List of supported devices here:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas

Comment

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Agreed, they need a better EPG. I use the "channels" app on the apple Tv, and that works well. This might be a good alternative though.

+1 for the Channels app on ATV. It works perfectly with my old HDHomeRun and a cheap antenna. I generally only watch live tv for sports and occasionally local news. Channels along with MLB.tv and NFL Game Pass (have to subscribe in Europe and use a DNS proxy) give me everything I need.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am interested in this, but I have zero familiarity with the set up. If I get a tuner and antenna, am I able to set these up anywhere in my house and stream from there to each of my Apple TV's (once the app is updated)?

Reactions: Jwhite1
Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you're like me and live in Northern New Hampshire, you'll need to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-...UTF8&qid=1496334153&sr=8-1&keywords=HDHR4-2US
+
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp??mc=03&p=hdb91x&d=Xtreme-Signal-Yagi-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-70-Mile-VHFUHF-(HDB91X)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

I plan on mounting mine on the roof alongside the Weather Station & solar panels.

You'll need to subscribe to Plex Pass and then you can tune into live TV & DVR TV as well.

What do you need to connect the outdoor antenna to?

Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
What do you need to connect the outdoor antenna to?

I'm just going to run an outdoor-rated Coax from the antenna to the box. Box will connect to my network via Ethernet and Plex running on the Shield Pro is supposed to just find it and connect. I have Plex running on a Shield Pro as it can quite easily transcode 4K video down to 1080P for my AppleTVs in the house.

Comment

madgalaxy

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
too much work just to pay plex $5/mo to watch what i can already watch "live" for free by switching inputs to TV and using its built-in tuner. what's the value add here?
Umm, watch live TV outside your home! Work, Beach, Camping, Car trip, and so on...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.