Plex Said to Be Mulling Ad-Supported Movies and More Premium Content Subscriptions

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mylittlepwny macrumors newbie

mylittlepwny

I keep my mac plugged into my TV for plex now because the app for LG TV’s is so slow and has such a bad UI. It never used to be like this, I am about to try Emby again.

2. Rique macrumors member

Sigh... you effectively conceded my point, which is that it was blatantly incorrect to state that Plex is "a product that currently deals exclusively with ripped or pirated content", but first you hid that behind a barrage of copied-and-pasted legal language. Well played, sir, well played.

As for the YouTube videos, pardon me for not researching those specific videos. I sent that link as an example URL to illustrate the point that YouTube provides videos which are not subject to copyright and available to download. Again, in providing the link you provided, you conceded that point as well.

Additionally, you chose not to speak at all to my point concerning the recording of streaming content to which one has subscribed and is a service that person or family is paying for. If your larger point is correct, then services such as PlayOn are illegal and should have been challenged. Yet, they continue on with impunity, unchallenged. I stick to my larger point, which is that recording of streaming content to which one has subscribed is, while probably inconsistent with the provider's TOU, technically not illegal and likely legal under Fair Use.

Which brings me to my final point: In providing your mountain of legal copied-pasted doctrine, you chose to ignore entirely the concept of Fair Use, which is still available to you, to me or to anyone sued for copyright infringement. While it is true that DMCA incorporates a rather neat work-around in the language, bypassing the notion of Fair Use to instead prohibit the technological means to circumvent, its available as a defense. Not that anyone would necessarily want to get into that particular mud pit with the providers.

Closing the loop on my point concerning Fair Use, here is some text from the very wiki article that you posted:

Fair Use and Circumvention
    Critics of the DMCA have often noted the absence of an explicit exception for circumvention to enable fair use.[2][3][4]

Section 103(c)(1) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201 (c)(1)) does state that [n]othing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title. However, a violation of the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA is not itself copyright infringement and therefore it is unclear whether fair use can be raised as a defense in circumvention cases.

Courts have come out both ways on the issue. Some have held that the anti-circumvention provisions can only be violated when the circumvention has a connection to copyright infringement. For example, in Storage Tech. Corp. v. Custom Hardware Eng'g & Consulting, Inc., 421 F.3d 1307, 1318-19 (Fed. Cir. 2005) the Federal Circuit held that a copyright holder must show a connection to copyright infringement in order to succeed in a claim under the DMCA.

Similarly, in Chamberlain Group, Inc. v. Skylink Technologies, Inc. 381 F.3d 1178 (Fed. Cir. 2004) the court held that distribution of a circumvention device (in that case a garage door opener) did not violate the anti-circumvention provisions because its use did not lead to any copyright violation.

However, in a number of cases involving DVD decryption courts have held that there is no fair use defense in circumvention cases. In Universal City Studios v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 294, 322 (S.D.N.Y. 2000), the court stated that "f Congress had meant the fair use defense to apply to such actions, it would have said so."[5]

The point being that, it is disingenuous (IMNSHO) to make the blanket statement that it is illegal to copy your own content for personal purposes. If you want to get into the quagmire of a discussion concerning the manufacture and distribution of tools intended to circumvent, that's another thing altogether (and I'd concede that point).

In closing, my original point stands as unchallenged and true - it is not correct to state that Plex is "a product that currently deals exclusively with ripped or pirated content".

Thanks. Good debate.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    Separate from the back-and-forth about the DMCA and copyrighted content, etc., I'd love any comments anyone might have concerning Emby. I'd look at it again if it proves a good alternative to Plex. I do like Plex (still), but not the direction they're headed with the GUI changes.

Does anyone care to post a quick review of the pluses-and-minuses of Emby? Thanks.

3. Rique macrumors member

4. shpankey macrumors member

I'm not aware of any other additional charges, though I do subscribe to their 'Premiere' service (much like I paid for plex as a monthly fee, though it's minimal). As far as the free service, I'm not sure what the deal is. But as a Premiere user there are no other fees. I believe it's $4.99, but one small note is that it buys it for you and all your users, not just for you. So all advanced features like Emby Connect, etc are available for everyone (up to a limit I believe, but I think it's like 15 users and then they have a higher tier).

Playlists for anything, including music, are extremely easy and on Par w/ Plex. Simply click the ... on the file you wish to start with and select "Create Playlist" and the next item you add you will select "Add to Playlist" and chose the playlist you just created and then add. Repeat for as many items as you wish. Once you're done... select "Playlists" at the top (always visible) and click on your new playlist. From there, you can edit it (play, play all, download, delete media, add, remove from playlist, favorite, etc).

Hope that helps. Definitely check it out. The UI is not as polished as Plex yet, but pretty darn close with continual improvements coming in almost daily (on the beta). A new final version is days away from release btw.

Hardware transcoding is far, far ahead of Plex... if that matters to you.