Resolved Plex - Sell my physical media?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Daniel97, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm after some opinions and feedback.

I have a new 2011 Mac Mini which I have been upgrading etc to make it into my super HTPC.

Anyway I basically want to rip my entire blu ray library to plex so it becomes my media centre.

Once I've done this, assuming I have proper back ups of my data on several drives is there any reason I shouldn't sell the physical blu ray discs? - I have some 50 odd blue rays so selling these would allow me to purchase some larger LaCie Drives for example in which I could store the data and keep a backup.

I was thinking of having a LaCie Tower. 2 x 2GB HDs. 1 for media and 1 as Time Machine backups. It then wouldn't really matter what size drive I had in my Mini as I wouldn't need to store any information on it. This would allow me to buy a 64GB SSD and just use it as a boot drive. Super speedy Mac Mini loaded with media able to stream around the house with a large sufficient back up.

Am I crazy or does this sound like a good idea?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a crazy idea. I keep my movies after ripping them, for loaning to friends and family, but if you need the money, sell 'em!

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I have just started to sell my physical copies of all my favourite tv series.
    They are still fetching a decent price and I've got nothing to lose as they've all been backed up to my NAS.

It puts more money back in my pocket for more toys!! :)

4. jwm2 macrumors regular

Why bother ripping them? You might as well just download them if you are going to pirate. Its against the law to keep a backup copy of media you no longer own. Check the DMCA.

5. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes on reflection reading it I realise what I've done lol.

Okay I'll keep the discs. No biggie.

6. kingtj macrumors 68020

Heh...

Every time I try to resell one of my DVD movies, I can barely get $1 for it, and I have to box it up and ship it to some buyer in another state from Amazon or eBay. Completely not worth it!

I guess blu-ray has more value though.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

On Craigslist, people sell their DVD's in bundles to make it more worthwhile than getting a buck or two for individual DVD's.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I tend to sell locally, you get more money that way. People are willing to pay more if they don't have to wait for shipping and what not.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unfortunately selling the media while you have a copy is piracy.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

End thread.

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.