Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Plex today announced a new partnership with Warner Bros that will allow Plex to offer additional third-party content.

Plex will be able to provide users with free ad-supported movies and TV shows through the Plex app on Apple TV, iPhone, and other devices.

plexdevices-800x546.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Plex, it's an all-in-one media hub that organizes your entire library of content, from TV shows and movies to music, photos, and more. Plex also offers free access to news, web shows, podcasts, and live television access when paired with an antenna.

Rumors earlier this year suggested Plex was pursuing partnerships with rights holders and networks to bring ad-supported content to the Plex platform, and the Warner Bros deal appears to be the first content partnership to come out of those talks.

Plex says that it plans to begin offering feature film titles from Warner Bros later this year, adding to the live TV, podcast, and news content that it already offers. There's no word yet on what titles will be included nor specifically when the service will be launching.

Article Link: Plex to Offer Free Ad-Supported Movies Through Warner Bros Partnership

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Great news - I love my Plex setup. Although I see this is limited to the US only. Hopefully this limitation is lifted soon and this feature expands to other territories.

Reactions: barbu

tunastink

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Equally excited and concerned by this news. My expectation for Plex is that it gives me a nice way to access my own media without being tracked and herded by media and advertising companies...

I like easy access to more content but not thrilled about Plex becoming another point of data collection about me and my preferences.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
That's not clear from the article. The question is, is there an opt in/out switch? Such that, if you don't choose to have access to the ad-supported movies, they don't get any data about you.

The current Plex Media Server implementation does have a 'Send playback data to Plex' option that you can opt-out of. My guess is that this will continue when the new ad-supported model arrives.

Plex ran into some issues a few years back when they tried to force the collection of playback information for all users. They had a bit of an uproar from the Plex user-base which made them relent and implement the 'opt-out' option. I'm guessing if they try this stunt again as a trade-off for the Warner Bros content, they will face a similar uproar again.

Anyhoo - definitely something to track on the Plex forums once this goes live as there will no doubt be a lot of talk about it!

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
But they can’t even get the Apple TV app to play a video without freezing.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Aka Warner Brothers gets metadata on all of Plex’s users and Plex makes a few bucks.

Might have to switch to Emby soon.

WB then sees how much of their content is pirated with PLEX as their primary method of viewing, then WB buys PLEX and shutters it.

utterer

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
I have been wondering for a long time how Plex's downfall would start. I always thought it would be from being drained financially from legal fees not from partnering with studios.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Plex could get rid of the "free tier", charge an annual subscription fee to everyone (or lifetime Plex Pass), and start generating more revenue from everyone who is using it for free to keep the company going. Instead they decide to start becoming a bloated service full of crap no one wants. I hope this does not spell the demise of Plex. It truly is the best thing going.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Aka Warner Brothers gets metadata on all of Plex’s users and Plex makes a few bucks.

Might have to switch to Emby soon.
So what? Stop acting like it matters.
[doublepost=1567176415][/doublepost]
Hmm... I don't know of anyone who uses Plex for anything other than viewing their own media.

Generally when community-developed software starts looking for ways to monetize, that's when it's a good time for its users to start looking for alternatives. I saw some people on Slashdot talking about Jellyfin... has anyone here used it?
There is no much wrong with this post and this mentality.

Plex is not "community-developed", and community-developed software sucks. It is good for putzing around with, but it is not a product. Plex is a product, a very high quality, up-to-date, evolved product. And you cannot do that without money. They are continuing to find ways to monetize it, because you cannot have a product or continue develop on a product, without direct revenue from it. And continued develop is the only option in software today, otherwise your product will be obsolete and not working on most devices in less than 12 months.

Reactions: ingik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.