Do you use Plex or Emby ?

• Plex

• Emby

Results are only viewable after voting.

max2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Which one do you use and why ? Which is better in your opinion?

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Plex but only as the server. Their media player is absolute rubbish on iOS/AppleTV. I use Infuse as the player. Still beyond me why Plex don't adopt the same approach with their app

Reactions: OddyOh

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Same as Bumbo, Plex Server running on my PC, and Infuse Pro on my Apple TV 4K. I don't mind the Plex for tvOS app, the main reason I use Infuse is that it has wider codec support. If I play a 4K HEVC movie with TrueHD audio through the Plex app it grinds to a halt attempting to transcode it, whereas Infuse just spits it out onto the TV in Direct Play mode and everything is hunky dorey.

Reactions: OddyOh

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Even with the new player enabled it’s still not as compatible as Infuse so I’m happy with that for now.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
If I play a 4K HEVC movie with TrueHD audio through the Plex app it grinds to a halt attempting to transcode it, whereas Infuse just spits it out onto the TV in Direct Play mode and everything is hunky dorey.
What audio do you get and from where?
Infuse audio pass-through was broken some time ago, has it been fixed?
tvOS does not support any of the lossless formats (such as TrueHD).

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Infuse will decode all HD audio codecs to multichannel PCM without loss of quality. The only thing you loose by not bitstreaming is metadata for object oriented audio so you can't get Atmos or DTS:X. Nvidia Shield is one of the few Plex options for bitstreaming HD audio from local media.

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
I’ll have a look tonight if I have the Passthrough option set (I believe I do). My Apple TV goes HDMI to my TV then optical to my Bose sound base.

Infuse is probably doing some sort of audio conversion in the app itself as it plays the films without Plex Server having to transcode whereas the official Plex app forces the audio and video to be transcoded by the server.

I’m under no illusions I’m at best getting Dolby 5.1 but I was just highlighting that Infuse doesn’t seem to require the server to transcode it for it.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2013
UK
It decodes it to LPCM, so your AV amp will still get top quality audio but as LPCM instead of “True HD” on your AVRs display.

Adam.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Unfortunately, my media hub is my Xbox one and I don’t think infuse is available on that.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I’m under no illusions I’m at best getting Dolby 5.1 but I was just highlighting that Infuse doesn’t seem to require the server to transcode it for it.
Well, Plex player doesn't either in most cases (video these days is AVC or HEVC anyways). It's just that it's UI/UX does not fit the Apple philosophy in any way.
It's just the fact that the single reason I'd think of buying Infuse Pro version - audio passthrough - was destroyed with one of the last tvOS 11 versions.
I was hoping that the issue might have been resolved.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
For those of you having issues with the Apple TV app, if you haven't seen this, it might be a step in the right direction:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/early-access-for-plex-pass-users-to-new-apple-tv-ios-video-player/335439
Tried their new player (I have a Plex Pass) and it's still nowhere near as powerful as Infuse. Like others have said, even if the file is compatible with the player, Plex will still try and transcode most of them which grinds it to a halt and then errors. This is why it'll never be a complete solution for me

Banglazed

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I use Plex for the server but I use both Plex and Infuse app. Plex app is good if you're using from your server. However, Infuse is better for other users on the server. There are no playback limit on mobile using the Infuse app and no transcoding for 4K videos on Apple TV. I like my videos to be direct play from any devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.