Plex vs Emby

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by max2, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Do you use Plex or Emby ?

1. Plex

2. Emby

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. max2 macrumors 68030

Which one do you use and why ? Which is better in your opinion?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Might one ask what they are?

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Just using Plex. Haven’t tried anything else to be honest.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Same here.

It works well and I recommend it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2019 ---
    Applications to stream your media (Apple TV, Roku, iOS devices, Android, etc).

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gosh.

Thank you for your explanation.

I had no idea what they were.

6. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

Plex but only as the server. Their media player is absolute rubbish on iOS/AppleTV. I use Infuse as the player. Still beyond me why Plex don't adopt the same approach with their app

7. peejay1977 macrumors member

peejay1977

Same as Bumbo, Plex Server running on my PC, and Infuse Pro on my Apple TV 4K. I don't mind the Plex for tvOS app, the main reason I use Infuse is that it has wider codec support. If I play a 4K HEVC movie with TrueHD audio through the Plex app it grinds to a halt attempting to transcode it, whereas Infuse just spits it out onto the TV in Direct Play mode and everything is hunky dorey.

8. PilotC150 macrumors member

9. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

Infuse user here, the Plex app is terrible, though the server side is decent.

Adam.

10. peejay1977 macrumors member

peejay1977

Even with the new player enabled it’s still not as compatible as Infuse so I’m happy with that for now.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68040

What audio do you get and from where?
    Infuse audio pass-through was broken some time ago, has it been fixed?
    tvOS does not support any of the lossless formats (such as TrueHD).

12. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

Infuse will decode all HD audio codecs to multichannel PCM without loss of quality. The only thing you loose by not bitstreaming is metadata for object oriented audio so you can't get Atmos or DTS:X. Nvidia Shield is one of the few Plex options for bitstreaming HD audio from local media.

13. peejay1977 macrumors member

peejay1977

I’ll have a look tonight if I have the Passthrough option set (I believe I do). My Apple TV goes HDMI to my TV then optical to my Bose sound base.

Infuse is probably doing some sort of audio conversion in the app itself as it plays the films without Plex Server having to transcode whereas the official Plex app forces the audio and video to be transcoded by the server.

I’m under no illusions I’m at best getting Dolby 5.1 but I was just highlighting that Infuse doesn’t seem to require the server to transcode it for it.

14. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

It decodes it to LPCM, so your AV amp will still get top quality audio but as LPCM instead of “True HD” on your AVRs display.

Adam.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Plex... have been for several years. Ups and downs.

16. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Unfortunately, my media hub is my Xbox one and I don’t think infuse is available on that.

17. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Well, Plex player doesn't either in most cases (video these days is AVC or HEVC anyways). It's just that it's UI/UX does not fit the Apple philosophy in any way.
    It's just the fact that the single reason I'd think of buying Infuse Pro version - audio passthrough - was destroyed with one of the last tvOS 11 versions.
    I was hoping that the issue might have been resolved.

18. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

Tried their new player (I have a Plex Pass) and it's still nowhere near as powerful as Infuse. Like others have said, even if the file is compatible with the player, Plex will still try and transcode most of them which grinds it to a halt and then errors. This is why it'll never be a complete solution for me

19. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

I use Plex for the server but I use both Plex and Infuse app. Plex app is good if you're using from your server. However, Infuse is better for other users on the server. There are no playback limit on mobile using the Infuse app and no transcoding for 4K videos on Apple TV. I like my videos to be direct play from any devices.