Plex will be on Apple TV 4 on release

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Frankied22, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Rene Ritchie (@@reneritchie): If you have an Apple TV app you’d like covered on @iMore at launch please get in touch sooner rather than later. Thanks! + @settern

Plex (@@plexapp): @reneritchie Count us in on the Apple TV launch :)

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ye I saw that too and it was like the best xmas pressie ever!!!!

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Of course, submitting an app for an Apple device and actually being added to the app store is 2 very different things. Before we claim something with such authority, we might want to check with Apple first.

I'm as hopeful as anyone else but this is Apple as gatekeeper.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's really a modified version of the iPhone/iPad app so no reason to disallow it

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Again, we'll see. Plex replaces the primary interactive experience with the :apple:TV, not some ancillary experience that is not phone/texting/web browsing/email as it is on the phone. I suspect Apple wants to "own" the primary experience of the :apple:TV, so I lack confidence they'll let a Plex take that over. But again, we'll see. And I'll hope right with you.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

7. page3 macrumors 6502

Lets hope it is based on their iOS interface (likely) and not their new PMP interface!

8. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Having been a long term user of Apple TV since the first gen, what are the advantages to using Plex over Home Sharing (which has worked flawlessly on my ATV)?

9. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Hopefully the people behind Infuse have done their homework. On iPad Air 2 it can decode DD/DTS.

On the other hand, Kodi + Nvidia Shield ATV is getting better with each firmware release, incl. passthrough for HD codecs ... and 4K and dynamic refresh rates.

I don't think Apple will go beyond the existing DD/DTS codecs, so no HD audio support (even OSX lacks it).

10. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

I still fail to understand the added value of Plex. it's a client-server based Mediaplayer and (mostly) relies on transcoding at the server.

For me, Kodi can connect to any network share. I don't need a server thingy on my NAS. Using Infuse I can play any movie (MP4, MKV, AVI) incl. 1080p on my iPad. No need for fancy UIs with albumart, posters etc.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

More supported file types.

12. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Ok, your "no need" is a need for many.

Plex has been working for me just fine for 2 years.

13. jdag macrumors 6502a

Plex has several added features that some would consider mandatory, especially in an environment with multiple people...

1) Central database to manage the library - 1 central location to manage content, customize artwork, etc. I believe to do so with Kodi you have to build a separate database. With Plex is it standard.

2) Central database to store watched status - You can start a show on your family room TV, stop, go upstairs and continue. Again, a separate database needed for Kodi that you have to configure/manage (and know how to set up in the 1st place).

3) Remote access on your devices, and ability to share your server with friends/family for remote use.

4) Even within 1 household, simple to share with different people so that each maintains his/her own watched status. For example, my son has a Roku in his bedroom, and a separate Plex account, so his TV is, well, his TV. His Plex is his Plex.

On a side note, I actually only use Plex as a secondary server (I primarily use iTunes as the default server). So what I've done is set up iTunes with all of my media, then simply pointed the Plex server to my iTunes folders. Therefore, I use HomeSharing and the native AppleTV menus for my 3 AppleTVs, but my son is able to use Plex on his Roku. My parents also use my Plex server via their FireTV Stick. My iMac is on 24x7.

14. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Agreed. I bought a lifetime subscription for Plex Pass when it was 50% off. I like helping out the devs. Plex makes it easy to turn your media into a nice Netflix-like experience. That organization and "fancy ui" is what appeals to people. It's easy to use and let's you view your media on tons of different devices. Not to mention it offers a lot of other features as well like photo backup, music organization and player, synced play positions for different people, offline playback, trailers and extras, sharing libraries, etc.

It's a great piece of software that provides a lot of value, even if you use the free version.

15. nosaj72 macrumors member

If they do decide to go with their PMP interface, there is always hope for this third party client: http://simplex.video/

16. jdag macrumors 6502a

Very cool!

17. phrehdd, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I admit I am not a fan of Plex (prefer Kodi for my purposes) but will also admit you gave very compelling and well thought out reasons why Plex is a great option for yourself and folks wanting to achieve similar access to "features" on their ATV. On Plex's forums, long ago, I had suggested something just shy of what they are doing now. I had no idea what a behemoth of a system it would become. I'll just say they work hard, generate more and more for their users and hopefully do more justice for the users than Apple has done with the ATV to date.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

So this plex app will support universal search with the public api, but apples home sharing movies won't ?

19. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

One of the devs posted on the Plex forums that their first submission got rejected and they have submitted their app again. I wonder why it got rejected. I see no reason why Plex would not be allowed on the Apple TV. Its on iOS.

20. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Plex is the only reason I'm getting the new Apple TV! I hope it doesn't get rejected.

21. ekrueger24 macrumors regular

Hope Plex is there at launch. Would much prefer the native Plex experience rather than using it through DVLA (or whatever its called) from the TV

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm trying to figure out the advantage of Plex on an ATV, vs what I do now, which is running Plex on a dedicated Mac Mini hooked to my TV. The only thing I can think of is that its one less activity button on my Harmony Remote.

23. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Given that there are better performing players out there that do let you use Plex, I can't imagine why you would want the ATV as opposed to saythe top performing - Nvidia Shield TV. FYI I have used both Plex and Kodi with the latter and theyt perform brilliantly (I'm staying with Kodi for now). The only two things that might be a plus for ATV (other than a front end for iTunes, is the remote and possibly a nicer menu.

24. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Plex is the main reason for me picking up an ATV4. I could use other players but I also require Airplay which makes the ATV4 the perfect one box solution. It certainly beats the need for an additional Roku box or the Samsung built in client which isn't the quickest!

25. Digglez macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat. Aside from the 23.976 playback judder, the Plex experience is great on my Mini. The Netflix experience however, is not... I am really trying to get the best of both worlds, and hope this new ATV will be the answer..