Plex won't play joined movie from Quicktime

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Oneness, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Oneness macrumors regular

Long post, so let's get started......
    Taped 4 episodes of "Emma' using EyeTV off of PBS. Used Handbrake to convert to mp4 version. Then opened each episode in Quicktime 7 in separate windows. After trimming out unwanted intros and credits I preceded to join the movies in the following manner:
    1. Clicked on Episode 2 and used the following process: Select All > Copy > Click on Episode 1 > Paste
    2. Clicked on Episode 3 and used the same process: Select All > Copy > Click on Episode 1&2 > Paste
    3. Did the same process for episode 4
    I than saved the 4 joined episodes as a complete movie (resulting movie 1.8gb). I then changed the Quicktime extension from .mov to .mp4.

I opened the movie in Quicktime and everything looked fine. Copied the movie to my Plex library and 'Scanned for new content' Plex opened the movie and played the movie fine, but only the 1st episode showed up in Plex. So......

I redid the whole process and this time Plex opened and played the movie fine, but only episodes 1-3 showed up in Plex. So.....

I opened the movie in VLC to see if VLC would show the whole movie. VLC played the entire movie but when the 4th episode started VLC opened a brand new window and played the 4th episode without skipping a beat. Weird.

I thought maybe it has something to do with EyeTV so I downloaded the four episodes as .avi files and joined them in Quicktime again. Same result. Only the first 3 episodes (168 minutes instead of the full 225 minutes) showed up in Plex. So....

I redid the whole process again, but instead of joining episode 2 to 1 and then 3 to 1 & 2 and then 4 to 1,2 and 3 I did the reverse and joined 4 to 3 then 4 & 3 to 2 and then 4,3 and 2 to 1. Same result. Plex only shows episodes 1-3 not the 4th episode of the joined movie.

Any thoughts?

2. jrm27 macrumors 6502

I've got a couple movies in my plex library that were ripped from multiple discs. I never had to join them to make them play non-stop. I doubt you woudl need to join the individual files in Quicktime. Maybe? I think it all comes down to how you have the files named and structured. I think there's quite a lot of info to be had on this over at the Plex forums!

3. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Oneness, unfortunately I can't answer your question.

But it might be worth trying to ask on the Plex Forums (http://forums.plexapp.com/), nice lively community of regulars, the devs often post too.

As a last resort, if it's a Plex specific issue, a bug report can be filed and hopefully fixed in a future release.. :)

4. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Plex mov demuxer is pretty basic, it doesn't support any of the mov features outside from one video track or some audio tracks.

5. Oneness thread starter macrumors regular

Now that you mention I do remember reading in the Plex forums on how to structure the Plex library to play movies with 2 or more parts.
    Thanks for jogging my memory. I will give this a try tonight.