Plextor M3 128GB? Or Crucial M4 128GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOKHAN, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I've been debating between these two SATA III drives for my early 2011 13" MBP.

Anybody have any experience with the Plextor M3 128GB? It seems faster than the M4 in benchmarks, and is the exact same price. I just can't seem to find anyone who has used it in a Mac.

I know the Crucial M4 will be fully compatible, however it is slower.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Even though the M4 is "slower", you won't even notice the difference. It's so fast that the difference isn't even worth worrying about.

I have an M4 in my 13MBP and its flawless, don't even hesitate to grab it.

3. MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I know you're right too. But AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH what's going on! Why can't I force myself to click 'Add to Cart' on the M4! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa what's happening to me!

4. Medge macrumors newbie

I'm putting a 128 Plexor M3 in my early 2011 13" tomorrow, I'll let'ya know how it goes. It says it supports Mac OS so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The M3s also has a longer warranty (5 years), that coupled with the extra speed makes it a more compelling option IMO.

6. Medge macrumors newbie

At first glance i'm going to say do not buy the Plextor M3. Cloning went fine. Afterwards, the system is a nightmare. I can't keep it stable for more than a minute, then it just starts bugging out.

I've used Corsair and Crucial SSDs in all of my PCs and just saw a good deal on the Plextor so I figured I'd try it in my MBP. Ouch. Might end up swapping one of my M4s in and putting the Plextor in my PC.

I'm installing the EFI update now (or trying) to see if I can get this thing working at all. Apparently the EFI update was supposed to provide support for 6.0g/s SATA, so perhaps that's the problem. I'll post back as soon as I have news.

----------

No luck with EFI. This thing is trash. So much for "Mac OS" support.

Can't even get my MBP to shut down now without hard booting.

7. kingshoc macrumors newbie

Plextor M3S 256GB i have this installed for about two months now i have no issues with this ssd drive. :apple:

8. Medge macrumors newbie

Hold up. Got EFI to install and still wasn't stable, so I did a repair and so far so good. Going to run it through some rough testing. If you don't hear back within a day, it's working.

9. Medge macrumors newbie

Done changing my mind. Don't do it, back to random restarts now.

10. blueslash macrumors newbie

mind to tell your M3 fw version?
    curious if any changes by fw1.01 released by 13.Jan

11. pmz macrumors 68000

Putting a Crucial M4 128 GB in my early '11 MBP 15" tomorrow :)
    Psyched

12. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

You should't be cloning to a SSD in the first place. So that could be your issue right there.