plist file doesn't have homepage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakenolan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jakenolan, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

jakenolan macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I am looking for the option in ANY plist file that allows an alteration to the homepage for Safari.

I have looked in:
    com.apple.Safari.plist
    com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist
    Bookmarks.plist
    com.apple.internetconfig.plist
    com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist

None of these can find anything to do with "homepage" or my currently set homepage - "http://www.apple.com/startpage"

Bookmarks and the homepage are what I am trying to change and bookmarks have been the only success.

In case there is anyone else trying to do what I am doing but hasn't got this far yet, I am using OS X Lion (unfortunately), and just getting to the Library isn't easy anymore. You need to click on finder, then Go > Connect to Folder... > ~/Library just to access the now hidden Library folder in the home dir.

I know the option is supposed to be in "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist"
    but I am afraid I am not having any luck locating it (the option in the plist - not the plist itself. I can find the plist comfortably).

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it immensely.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You set your Homepage using Safari Preferences; ie, from the Main Safari Menu>Preferences, not by editing the .plist.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If for some reason you really need to edit it directly (I'd highly recommend against it), the key is just labeled HomePage. I found it quite easily just browsing the file with QuickLook. If you can't find it, I'm not sure what to suggest.

jW

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

As Mal said the string your looking for is called "HomePage".

You might not be able to find it because sometimes plists in binary as opposed to XML (Try PlistEdit Pro).

5. jakenolan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave, but I was aware of the normal method ;)

Mal and Quad5Ny, are you referring to a plist called "HomePage" ? If not, can you please tell me the plist you found it in?

I am using TextWrangler to open the plist files.

And like I said, I altered the bookmarks quite easily and was happy with the outcome. I am just having no luck with the homepage.

Would there be any difference between what I am using and PlistEdit Pro?

I assume you guys are all running Lion too.

Thanks.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, we said the key, as in the entry in the com.apple.Safari.plist file. If you're not familiar enough with that terminology, you have no business mucking about in plist files. Either spend some time learning all the details, or you'll be back in a day or so saying, "Help, I messed up something and now my computer doesn't work."

jW

7. jakenolan thread starter macrumors newbie

Then how does one learn in the first place? By studying all of the theory there is to know before ever going "hands-on?" Pretty slow learning curve if you ask me ;)

I did not know of plist files a week ago, but I have now acquired the need to, and since then I have effectively changed one of the files to what was required but I got stuck on the second one as I couldn't locate the appropriate "key."

I am doing it correctly by backing up all plist files before I even open them.

It was just that neither of you specified which plist the key/string should be found in so I had to ask (must have been obvious to you guys).

By searching for "HomePage" in com.apple.Safari.plist I get the message:

Not Found
    The string "HomePage" was not found.

I must be doing something wrong because where else would it be? And it must be somewhere.

Trust me, if I could avoid the need to use plist files I would. Looking at them makes me want to sleep.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you considered they fact that the key won't exist until you set the homepage to something other than the default?

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You still haven't answered the basic question about why you need to mess with the plist files. There's a good reason for the way it's designed to work, and you're not going to achieve any different result by editing the plist directly than you would by simply changing the settings properly.

jW

10. jakenolan thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:

Did not consider!

Thank you kind sir! Changed the homepage from the default and is now displayed in the plist.

Knew it had to be a simple error from myself.

:)

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Time to break my computer ;-)