Plotting the switch, but when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaseychasem, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. chaseychasem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    #1
    Hi, everybody. I've been doing extensive reading here over the past week or two, so I'm quite aware of the potential redundancies in what follows. Maybe the combination will prove novel, but feel free to stop reading if you please.

    At some point during the next year, I am, at any rate, intent on transitioning from a PC desktop + perky-but-puny netbook setup to sole reliance on the MBP(r), with docking configuration at home. I'm wrapping up graduate school and entering a period of greater and more consistent mobility than nonstop dissertation writing, so the shift makes sense—I dread being away from my desktop but at the same time dislike the feeling of being "chained" to it for greater productivity, you know the drill—and I've whittled my list of must-have PC applications down to the amazing Citavi, which is now viable under Parallels, as well as perhaps Paint.NET. So I'm ready to do this.

    The question for me isn't so much the ceaselessly repeated one of MBP vs. MBPr (I would prefer to wait for v2 with regard to the latter) as of when to bite. The main thing is not whether but when and how most sensibly to enter Macdom, in other words. If I purchase now, it's going to be the non-Retina MBP. If I purchase twelve months from now, provided that the kinks (no point in rehashing those, whatever your perspective) have been worked out and I can get over the idea of potentially surrendering the entire computer for any repair of intermediate or greater magnitude, it might be the MBPr. Obviously, if before then the MBP goes the way of the dodo, that decision is made for me.

    My considerations are basically threefold:

    - Is it absurd to part with a perfectly functional and still fairly zippy 2.5-year-old desktop for the sake of consolidation to an MBP(r)? I've saved up enough money and fully intend to hold on to the MacBook for at least 3-4 years (16GB RAM/256GB SSD+), so it's simply a matter of when to take action, as mentioned. The original price of the desktop was around $2500, and I expect that resale for at least $600-700 would be fully within the realm of possibility. The desktop will be three years old in January, no remaining warranty, but it's a good upper-mid-range, custom-built multimedia rig.

    - Would it be silly to wait for Haswell when the MacBook would be in clamshell mode most of the time and connected to an external monitor, which mode, as I understand it, relies wholly on discrete graphics? Given that the raw speed bump (integrated graphics aside) from Haswell over IB is now projected to fall in the 5-10% range, the only major difference I can imagine would involve improved battery life and thermals, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know that IB has in some cases proved a little dodgy in the latter area, or at least disappointing, though that may be the overclockers who are sore at Intel talking.

    - It's possible that I'll be moving overseas at the end of said twelve-month period, so the most annoying scenario would be a major update toward late summer next year (no doubt likely), putting me in the position of angling for a new unit stateside at the eleventh hour. Like a lot of people, once major improvements are on the horizon I'll only want to wait. If I buy now, on the other hand, by next summer I'll be sailing with AppleCare and more focused on the 2015-16 timeframe.

    Sorry for the long-windedness. Tl;dr doesn't spring to mind so readily when you're writing a dissertation. To sum up: choices, as Jerri Blank would say!
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    Nope, I've done this. Or something similar at least. When I switched to my first Intel Mac, I had a nice gaming desktop with a dual core CPU and SLI video cards. I don't think I spent $2500 on it, but it wasn't a cheap computer. I also had an OLD 12" PowerBook that I had picked up for cheap as my portable. I found I was using the wheezy old PB more than my desktop and decided it was time to sell them both and consolidate to a 15" MBP. I've since upgraded a couple times.

    Anyway, one thing I've found about Macs is that they have great resale value. I bought my current 13" MBP in late 2009 for ~$1200 and expect to get between $600-800 when I sell it. I've never seen that kind of resale on PCs.

    I'd buy now. The current models are great. Although, I'd just stick with the non retina models.

    As I said above, I'd buy now. You can avoid all this. If something comes out in a year and a half and you just HAVE TO have it, you can sell what you've got and transition to the new one.
     
  3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #3
    Plotting? This a crime?

    Buy now, why wait unless a refresh is due extremely shortly, which its not.
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    I think you'll be happy with the current options; I see no reason to wait for what may not come for another year.
     
  5. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    #5
    Facetiousness is risky business!

    Thanks for your advice, everybody. Order placed.
     
  6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #6
    What did u end up ordering?
     
  7. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    #7
    • 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    • 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

    Soon to be en route:

    • Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800
    • SAMSUNG 830 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

    Aiming for four years or so, bearing in mind constant Windows 7 virtualization. I wouldn't have bothered with the processor bump, but I wanted the VRAM upgrade for the external monitor at 1920x1080, probably a step or two larger in future.
     
  8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
  9. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2012
    #9
    Same specs for me except I have glossy hi res and 7200rpm. Are you planning on using a data doubler?
     
  10. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    #10
    Thanks! I turn thirty at the end of the month. Guess that's my excuse for indulgence.

    As for the data doubler, probably not, at least for now. My hard drive usage is usually relatively low, apart from hi-res photos taken during archival research. And I'd like to have the optical around for making a second backup of those photos sometimes, also still buy physical music CDs and need to rip them. So what I plan to do is enclose the included HDD and store image files there for occasional plug-in (need my USB ports for wired peripherals, such a Luddite), with an aging but capacious enough FireWire drive on standby for Time Machine.

    Unless this all sounds bonkers. =P
     
  11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #11
    I debated for a week on the cMBP or the rMBP. I ended up getting a 2.3/16/256 rMBP and dont regret it at all. The screen is so amazing, I love it. The cMBP is still amazing and you wont be disappointed.

    Im using USB3.0 SSD for backup, then that is backed up to a USB3.0 HDD. Not as annoying as I anticipated.
     
  12. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #12
    Sounds like bonkers to me... but then again it's supposed to :D

    Congrats you're really going to enjoy it.
     
  13. Capt T macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    #13
    Great choice, chaseychasem. Post up once you have it all set up.
     
  14. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012

Share This Page