Pls advice on on buying MBP 13' inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manoj88, Mar 4, 2012.

1. manoj88 macrumors newbie

Hi Mac guys,
    I am going to buy a new MAC book pro this is my first. Please advice me on which to buy. I am ordering via macmall.com

I am keen on 13 inches only.

I though I will buy this a Core i5 for $1138 in macmall: http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~8899069~pdp.gjcfgec

But then confused seeing this core i7 for $1219
    http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~8300857~pdp.gdchhca

When I contacted them they told that the difference between them is the Core i5 is a normal Late 2011 model and the Core i7 is a blowout-closeout model which is a early 2011 model.

When I get Core i7 nearly equal to the rate of Core i5(late 2011) model Why not to go for that.

PLease advise me which is better in the links provided above.

what will be consequences, pros/cons on buying the early or late 2011 model

Fast reply is appreciated.

Regards,
    Mano

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Its pretty much the same laptop. the i7 will be faster than the i5 for the price difference of course. i7 is nice if you do a lot of video processing otherwise i5 is sufficient.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. manoj88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments.

So you mean these both will be the same ?
    As far as i searched through the internet the difference that we can find in early and late 2011 models will be the CPU speed and the HDD drives and also graphics.

Few said that there wont be software support if I am gonna buy the early 2011 model and just to follow "always buy the latest".

----------

Hey thanks for your comments.

I would like to know if there will be anything that i will miss in late and early models.

As I told before I will prefer buying the Core i7 (closeout model-early 2011) as it is more or less equal to the rate of late 2011 model (Core i5).

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the difference in the computing power is probably the same as the difference in price. If you can afford it, get the higher (older) model assuming you're leaving money that you will put towards sleeve or case, memory, maybe a mouse or any other accessory. You could even put that towards an SSD, remove the optical drive and keep your 500GB HD in as well. That will give you a more noticeable improvement over the processor upgrade.

Also, use this promo code: APPINSDRMWB30384 for 3% off or click through this link that compares the prices on several different sites. You can look at the previous generation models as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#Current_Generation

6. manoj88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I have already seen the Apple Insider link thank you again for putting this up.
    Writing down my analysis.

Early 2011 Core i5 model
    Apple store $1199

MacMall offers discount for this MBP @ $1138 + Apple insider 3% coupon I get

it for total just $1104:)

Late 2011 Model -
    Apple stores - $1499

MacMall offers discount for this MBP @ $1219.99 + Apple insider coupon I get

it for total just $1178:)

So money wise not a problem, as you could see the rate of MBP after all the difference I could see Core i7(early 2011) is cheaper than the late 2011 model of Core i5.

Now tell me which one to go for ?

As this is my first mac i don't want to regret later that I would have bought always the latest model - Late 2011.

pls think in all aspects and let me know your valuable advice.

Thank you.

7. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Really, you won't notice any difference between the two models. If anything I would consider the i7 model because it might give you a little more value if you decide to sell it. The big difference is when you go from the 13" to the 15" because of the dedicated graphics card.

What do you plan to do with your computer? What programs?

8. manoj88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I work a lot on it. I am a freelancer so i will be working with lots of applications opened up.

e.g : 2 to 3 browser windows (each upto 10 tabs opened ) + eclipse+ Sync apps+ itunes playing +Automator Apple Script and few more depends on the work.

9. manoj88 thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies for the confusion.

In the above thread I have made a wrong.

The Core i5 is the Late 2011 model and the Core i7 is the Early 2011 model.