Pls help- Facebook/iPhone hacked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjones4248, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Mjones4248 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I received a friend request from a woman I thought looked familiar but I didn't recognise her name. I didn't accept we request but clicked on her profile. Her page came up with a lot I Arabic writing and then then page went blank and there was just the word "success" in the top left corner. I've deactivated my account, although it probably won't do any good. Have you heard of this before? I'm not sure whether they hacked my Facebook or if they are able to see information on my phone ( as I do most facebooking on my phone). I've changed my Facebook password and verified the account. Does this solve the issue for Facebook? I do banking etc on my iPhone so I am quite nervous. TIA

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Firstly, you should search the internet to see if anything like this has happened to anyone else. If not, then it's highly unlikely that this is actual malware/hacking.

It's possible that the FaceBook API has been compromised for mischief in some way: but at the most, they would have access to the info on your page. That seems unlikely if you simply viewed the page without accepting.
    They would not be able to break out of FaceBook and look through the rest of your iPhone.

It's equally possible that this request wasn't even a FaceBook request, but a malicious advert masking as FaceBook.

It's also possible that your browser just went a bit mad, couldn't render the page, and displayed some nonsense.

In short: I don't think you have much to fear, though it's always wise to be a little cautious.