Pls help: Laptop Serial Number Decode/Refurb Check

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidSun, Oct 26, 2011.

1. liquidSun macrumors newbie

Does the Model number S-MC723LL/A means that the laptop is refurbished?

2. GGJstudios, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe if it was refurbished, the M would be an F.

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

What's in a serial number?
    Apple Tweaks Serial Number Format With New MacBook Pro

You can check warranty remaining here.

3. liquidSun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replay. But im really confused. The guy from the local store allows me to check the serial number on the official site of apple before i buy the laptop. But i cant understand why this model number is not listed among other model numbers on the official apple site ?!

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

It's possible that the retailer has added a prefix to Apple's model number, your best bet would be to check the actual serial number of the unit itself.

As GGJstudios mentioned, model numbers beginning with an "F" are typically refurbished models. For example, FC723LL/A is a refurbished MacBook Pro featuring a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor (see http://store.apple.com/product/FC723LL/A for more details).

Refurbished units also don't tend to ship in the original packaging, instead they are packaged in plain boxes instead of the traditional briefcase style boxes.