iPhone 6(S)(+) Pls help me: from 6s+. Should I upgrade now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dragonjinse, May 23, 2019.

?

Should I upgrade now?

1. Yes! Get $200 trade-in value

2. NO! Wait for the price drops in Sept

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I am using 6s+ and it runs really smoothly like silk. However, the main issue is 16gb storage. I have to delete apps/pictures/videos all the time.

I am thinking to upgrade to Xr or XS max soon to get $200 trade-in value for my 6s+.

I want to get some advice if I should upgrade soon to take $200 trade-in OR wait until September for xr or XS max prices drop.

Money is an important issue, and I am trying to find the best way to save money for my new iPhone.

2. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

At this point, I'd wait until September, particularly if money is an issue and the phone is running smoothly.

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

The XR & Max could be discontinued and the new models cost the same - so no savings.
    The longer you hold on to a phone nobody wants (16GB storage) the more worthless it becomes.
    I say get a newer phone now (with MORE storage than you think you'll use)

4. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

If you’re not depending on that trade money for a phone, I’d wait for the new one. If you are, absolutely trade it in and get $200 before the value goes down even more.

5. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

6s Plus is long in the tooth. Even with a new battery you’ll only get 3-4 hrs SOT on iOS 12 with very light usage. A XR will triple that.

Waiting for a 2019 phone makes sense if you’ve 7+ or 8 or better. For those with a 7 or 6s+ or worse, upgrade asap.

6. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

Agree with above post. Go for it! I upgraded from 7+ and love my XS max. For me it’s a totally different experience

7. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Has your SOT tripled?

8. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I recently upgraded my 6+ to a 7+ and love it. Yes, it's an older phone but still has life in it. And it works well for my needs. (I'm a pretty heavy user)

9. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

A 7+ with a fresh battery has 5 hrs SOT. A XS Max has 8-10 hrs.

10. nikusak macrumors regular

My old 6s (not plus, fresh battery) gets way more than 3-4 hours of screen on time on iOS 12. Plus should get a lot more.

Why do you lie?

Does your 6s Plus (let’s pretend you have one) have a fresh battery?

If yes, is it an official Apple battery or replaced at unauthorised repair?

11. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

I know people with SE and 7. All of them have new batteries or new phones. They get 3-4 hrs max.

Can you post a screenshot?

12. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the comments. I ended up getting XR yesterday, and I cannot be happier! The phone is a piece of art. Fast, great battery life and great size!! I loved my 6s+ but it's time to say goodbye.

SAY hello to my Red XR 126gb!! (no more 16gb!)

13. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Congrats! It's an excellent phone, enjoy!

14. nikusak, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

nikusak macrumors regular

Yes, attached.

This is not a full 100% to 0% test because that would take ages, but a 100% to 75% test which should be somewhat reliable since the battery is in a good condition. Before replacement the battery didn’t deplete linearly at all.

Anyway: I took my iPhone 6s off the charger at 7:30PM in the evening, 100% charge. Battery condition 97%.

I used actively various apps until the battery was down to 75%. Safari, Twitter, Maps, took 25 photos, used news apps, downloaded couple of updates from AppStore, read mail, browsed photos, watched YouTube for 13 minutes, no headphones of any kind.

Screen was set to automatic brightness, indoors, normal living room lightning. The phone was connected to 5GHz WiFi and 4G networks (2/4 bars; I took the case off for a minute and got 3/4 bars). Cellular data was off because my second backup SIM does not have unlimited data and I couldn’t be bothered to remove SIM from my other iPhone.

The result:

1 hour 36 minutes screen on time with 75% of battery left.

(I find Mail app’s share of battery use strangely high, I did read e-mails and wrote some, but didn’t except that. Is it polling the server all the time when the app is in the foreground or what...)

If we assume that the battery depletes somewhat linearly I would get about six hours of this kind of use. Way more than 3-4 hours. Of course if you keep the phone on the table for days and start using it when there is 10% left you will not get even an hour.

If I set the brightness to max, play some games, heavy 4G use, shoot lots of 4K videos, then we are talking about 3-4 hours probably.

I don’t think there was much of a difference with earlier iOS versions. Maybe 6-7 hours, although battery stats display was quite different then. I do remember that the original battery went bad disappointingly quickly though.

An iPhone 6s Plus with a good official battery should generally last longer which was the claim I found unbelievable.

Poor third party battery, use with max brightness, gaming, poor network conditions. All those things affect battery life.

Attached Files:

15. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

OK. Thank You. Yes, this phone should easily get 4-5 hrs of usage over 8+ hrs or so.

What was your battery like on iOS 9? You would have got 7-8 hrs over a 18 hour period right?

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

17. nikusak macrumors regular

Probably “about the same” - or slightly better. Not worse that’s for sure. And as I said, the original battery degraded really fast, that I do remember. I did use the phone a lot, though.

But the thing is that I don’t think Apple has done anything to make iOS battery use worse just for the sake of it - I got the idea that you do. I’m sure iOS 12 does more stuff locally on the device than before, like more advanced scanning of photos in the background, and who knows what else that isn’t necessarily visible. All that will consume battery.

Considering how long they support their devices, I don’t believe they deliberately create updates which result in poor user experience. Lack of optimisation due to deadlines etc. is another thing, iOS 11.0 was definitely not great on iPhone 6s.

Making your customers angry is never a good idea. Yes, it’s in Apple’s interests to get people to upgrade, especially now when the smartphone market is declining, but keeping customers happy is also important - they will buy new devices, eventually.