Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Im going through an ugly divorce with my husband.. and i feel that he has installed some sort of spyware or keylogger on my imac. I googled around and did the netstat -n thing.. and i found something that im uncomfortable with. Protemac daemon is listening etc etc what is daemon protemac? and what else should i look out for? im genuinely scared for my life.. help me pls. The police is unable to do anything until i can provide further evidences. Im currently seeking refuge at a friends house but he seems to always know where i am. Help me pls.

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
it makes no differences if u buy it or not. i just need advice so i know what to look for. Im just trying to protect myself. Thank you.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Im going through an ugly divorce with my husband.. and i feel that he has installed some sort of spyware or keylogger on my imac. I googled around and did the netstat -n thing.. and i found something that im uncomfortable with. Protemac daemon is listening etc etc what is daemon protemac? and what else should i look out for? im genuinely scared for my life.. help me pls. The police is unable to do anything until i can provide further evidences. Im currently seeking refuge at a friends house but he seems to always know where i am. Help me pls.

For the record..daemon protemac is a DVD / Blu-Ray burning software App...I suspect you are trying to advertise this.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Protemac is genuine software – probably an advanced firewall. Don't worry yourself over that.

If you're genuinely scared go back to the police.

Last edited:

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
ok. i will take a screen shot of the log as i really dont know what im suppose to look out for..
what exactly am i trying to advertise here? i dont understand the suspicions. i googled protemac daemon and i get this impression that its some sort of network monitor? i dont see anything that indicates its a dvd burning app? i did go to the police and he is not allowed to be near me but he is an unusually aggressive man and his actions are dictated by his emotions. I just feel unsafe.

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
i will. i just need to be sure if its hacked or not. if it is, i can use it as evidences. Do you understand what im trying to do here? i will return with a screenshot soon. I need to rest first. Gosh, you guys are a hostile bunch.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia

if you are legit:
format and reinstall os x.

If you are a troll or advertiser:
Did you know that most people get digital movies now so the authoring software for the consumer will die out whether you advertise it or not.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
i will. i just need to be sure if its hacked or not. if it is, i can use it as evidences. Do you understand what im trying to do here? i will return with a screenshot soon. I need to rest first. Gosh, you guys are a hostile bunch.

If you don't want to format the drive I suggest connecting an external hard drive and set up a fresh copy of Mac OS X on it that way you can still use your computer and retain the evidence. Make sure once you set up Mac OS X on the external drive to change all your passwords for every service.

-----------

That is what I'm scared of.. How can i check? Seeing its designed to be invisible. I'm aware of what I need to do but before that I need to make sure as I plan to use it as evidences. Do u see my point here?

Check your applications folder and see if you have any of ProteMac software http://www.protemac.com/ But I doubt that it will be there.

Another thing that I think you should do is email the developers and tell them about your situation maybe they can tell you what software you have installed on it.

Last edited:

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Are U guys sure that protemac is a burning app? Why is it showing on the log when I netstat it?

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
That is what I'm scared of.. How can i check? Seeing its designed to be invisible. I'm aware of what I need to do but before that I need to make sure as I plan to use it as evidences. Do u see my point here?

How can you prove he put it on there though. For all the court/police knows you could have installed it.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I doubt the process will appear in Activity Monitor with a name we can link to Protemac. This makes it difficult to spot as could be anywhere under any name.

Close all the applications, then open up the terminal and run:

PM me the result if you worry about your privacy (obviously I won't share it if you want, and no sensitive data is output anyway by lsof).

Also, you said you run netstat -n. Unfortunately there's no way I know to spot the process we're looking for (given it's running of course) with it.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Hmmm...just joined a day or two ago and "scared for your life." Sorry, I'm not buying it either. If you're really scared for your life, go to the police.

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Ok guys, ive did netstat -n, w, lsof -if and some screenshot. please tell me if theres something fishy going on.. im not all that literate with macs but im cautious enough to replaced my name with "edited". Thank guys..

Attachments

• Terminal Saved Output.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    140 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 293
  • Monitoroutput2.txt
    575 bytes · Views: 111

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
last 2

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    136 KB · Views: 176
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 168

raiden831

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
what worries me is that when i did the w command, i see it says 2 users in the log. is that something i should be worried about?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Format the machine and move on. Even if there's something on it you'll never prove you didn't install it, and you'll only come off a a desperate nutjob. That said.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.