pls help me on this winclone issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bonvoyage, Dec 6, 2010.

1. bonvoyage macrumors member

i m really got screwed up with winclone 2.2 on my snow leopard 10.6.5 macbook pro laptop.
    I had made a bootcamp image (windows xp) using winclone software, inorder to increase the bootcamp size.But when i tried to restore the image using winclone it shows th error msge "errors found check for log details".

Pls help me in restoring the winclone image ? (i found tht winclone has stopped support and pulled out all the help materials frm the internet and my search ends in an irrelevant page https://www.twocanoes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=515 , which usd to be the trouble shooting page).If someone has tht page, pls upload it here which gonna be a gr8 help for me ?

Can i use any other software to restore bootcamp's winclone image (Untitled.winclone) ?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please attach or PM me your Winclone.log file (usually found at ~/Library/Logs/Winclone.log). I can take a look and see what it is complaining about.

Winclone is a wrapper around a bunch of other utilities so you should be able to recover it though it may be painful.

B

3. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

thnks indeed for tht,

but thr is no such winclone.log file in my... library/logs folder/
    any other methods to find the log ?

meantime i had opened the untitled.winclone image through show package option and i copied out windows.dmg (21 gb dmg file) from it.Can i make use of it(restore it to bootcamp) with any other software or method, if its hard to do it with winclone ?

waiting 4 ur response ..

Attached Files:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but we need to know what flags were used to create the dmg to restore it properly, hence my request for the log file.

The "~" in front of the name is shorthand for your user folder and is important. The file is usually in /Users/<your_username>/Library/Logs

You could also run Winclone, go to the Window menu -> Show Log Window and just cut and paste any info that shows up there between CODE tags.

B

5. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

thnks a lot for your explanation , nw i've got the folder , i wasn't lookin at th rite folder b4,sorry indeed for tht .

since i am an amateur in readin th log file,ur explanation will really really appreciated.I tried to restore the image many times so the same log file may have repeated many times.

log file is attached here :

Attached Files:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks! I'll take a look later this evening. I've got somewhere to be.

B

7. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

no probs bro,thnks a lot and really appreciate ur helpin mentality

8. balamw, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The fundamental problem seems to be that your DMG is damaged somehow.

Code:
    /usr/bin/hdiutil attach  -nomount "/Volumes/<redacted>/Untitled.winclone/Windows.dmg"
    [B]hdiutil: attach failed - not recognized[/B]

Since you made a copy of the DMG, please try mounting that copy in Finder and report if it mounts OK. But please do that only on the copy, not the original in the Winclone image.

I'm going to try and dig through your log a bit more. EDIT: Doesn't look like the logs were saved when you created the image which would have helped a lot. Let me dig a bit and see if some of that info may be stored elsewhere in the Winclone file.

B

9. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

"please try mounting that copy in Finder and report if it mounts OK"

how do i do tht ? i tried in finder which doesnt have an option to mount ?
    i right clicked on the windows.dmg file and open with diskimagemounter.app which shows an error msge "windows.dmg is not recognised"
    do i need to open with "disk utility" option ?

am i at th right page ?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm afraid that your DMG is damaged or was created badly in the first place. You may not be able to restore from this image.

Do you know if you created it with a different version of Winclone than the one you are using now?

Can you make a copy of the Winclone image and remove the DMG and attach it or PM it to me? I want to see if there is a clue in the other files that are stored in your image.

B

11. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

i had used winclone 2.2 version for both image making and restoration purposes.
    winclone image is attached here

Attached Files:

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK I confirmed that the contents of the file are consistent with my install of 2.2 and ntfsprogs. So there is no obivous reason why your backup should have failed. (and thus also no obvious path to getting it back). :(

Dumb question I neglected to ask earlier. Was the original partition NTFS or FAT32?

Short of somehow sending me a copy of your 21GB DMG file I don't really see a way I can help you diagnose this further. My guess is that your data is there, but something is preventing it from being accessed.

With the recommended settings or Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (compression turned off and mountable DMG format), Winclone 2.2 would have used a .sparsebundle instead of a .DMG for an NTFS image (despite the DMG setting), so one of those things (compression/image format/NTFS) wasn't consistent.

B

13. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

i partitioned it with ntfs format and windows xp corporate edition service pack 3 is the image inside th clone.

My hopes become thinner nw.But thanks and thanks a lot for all ur replies.Before doing something wrong i m gettin advice from an expert.Thanks a ton 4 ur help.

I would like to is thr any other ways to get into that "dmg" files and copy the contents ? I have saved few office files on the windows xp desktop which i would like to retrieve it ? Is thr a way i can extract the dmg file / any 3rd party software ?
    Even though its time consuming,i can reinstall all the softwares and OS by a day long effort,but its bit hard to create those office files.Anyway possible to extract it ?

forgot to mention it earlier,when it has taken more than 3.5 hrs to restore the image from winclone image (21 gb file) i cancelled the process and exit from the software.I cancelled the process because earlier times it never took so much time to restore a 20 gb file.Can it be a root cause of the issue ?

14. balamw, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, basically now it's a forensic exercise akin to recovering data from a crashed hard drive. It can be done, but can extremely time consuming. Unless it's just something simple. The automatic software tools that exist to do this kind of file recovery can be very expensive. The good news is that it should be relatively easy if the data is intact. Since Winclone clones at the file level, each file should be contiguous and not fragmented.

The problem is if the image was compressed it may no longer be easy to figure out where a single file begins or ends.

It's possible that the image was damaged during that time, but I didn't see any indication of that in the logs. In the logs it looks like the damage was already done. Was the cancelled restore before the period captured in the logs?

B

15. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

" Was the cancelled restore before the period captured in the logs?"

i am not very sure abt tht, the sole reason for cancellation was the prolonged time it has taken (more thn 3.5 hrs for a single 21 gb file
    which never usd to b).Mean time i was doin my office work and may not have seen tht error msge.Because i remember it hasnt even started the process aftr 3.5 hrs,it was just showin the streaming/initiating status not the percentage/time status which shows how far its done with.
    B4 ths issue, i was really exhausted with a night long disk fragmentation process to resize the bootcamp partition drive,which i've been tryin for a week to solve.

As per ur advice i thnk its better to start from the begining

16. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

thnks a ton for ur help ... really helped me to analyze the issue a lot ...

17. Stu593 macrumors newbie

Did you try this?

I had a very similar problem as you, however, it solved itself when I figured out that I needed to format the partition for NTFS myself "externally" (ie using my XP pro CD). I used the bootcamp assistant to start the process of installing XP. Once XP has loaded itself to start the install, click on R for repair. 1) At the command line, type DIR - the result should show that you are in your bootcamp partition and not elsewhere (you do not want to format any other partition). 2) Type the following command at the command line: format c: /fs:ntfs (do not use the Q option). Type Y to confirm, then wait as the partition is formatted for NTFS. This will take some time, depending on the size of the partition. 3) Type exit, and restart your Mac. In OS X, start winclone and restore the image to the bootcamp partition. My partition was 100Gb, so it took about 3 hours to restore. I struggled with this for 2 days before finally figuring out what needed to be done (I also have a backup of my partition with Acronis (with the universal restore function setup, just in case). For whatever reason, it seems that with Leopard, Winclone does not format the new partition properly and that "you" need to do it, instead of Winclone.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That doesn't seem to be the issue here.

In this case, Winclone is unable to attach the image to determine what format it is in. The restore would still fail because it can't read the image.

Also, you mention Leopard. do you really mean 10.5.x or do you mean Snow Leopard 10.6.x as in the case with the OP.

B

19. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

Hey Bala, I was hoping you'd be willing to help me with a similar situation. I was shrinking my partition and I get the "errors found. Check log for details" message as well.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Post or PM me your complete Winclone.log file. I'll take a look in the morning see if anything cones to mind.

B

21. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

Alright thanks bud. Sorry it took me a bit to respond. first day of classes today.

Attached Files:

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you running NTFS-3G or some other third party NTFS driver, or maybe AntiVirus or an AutoMount software.

Code:
    ERROR(16): Opening '/dev/disk7' as NTFS failed: Resource busy
    is the unusual error that is in your logs.

Can you run things from Terminal.app

B

23. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

No antivirus in OSX, and no NTFS drivers or anything. pretty much just straight out of the box in that respect.

and I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to terminal.

24. Architraz macrumors newbie

Balamw,

I have been having trouble the past few days trying to set bootcamp up again on my three year old MacBook Pro, and wonder if you have any suggestions. I had a 200GB hard drive, but needed to add more disk space so I got a larger (640 GB) internal hard drive. I installed it and got the mac OS 10.6.6 up and running just fine with carbon copy cloner, but I need to transfer my bootcamp partition. On the 200GB drive, the old bootcamp partition took up about 60GB, but with my new drive I have the space, so I am trying to expand it to 100GB. I am running Windows XP Pro, and trying to transfer it with winclone 2.2 to the new 100GB partition I set up with BCA. Last night I used winclone to restore the image I created to the new partition, but after it was said and done, I got the same "errors found. Check log for details" message. I do not know much about logs, and after going through it, I could not find how to fix the problem. Based on all of the different forums I have gone through, I was sure that when creating the image, I created it as a .dgm uncompressed file because I am working with a NTFS partition.

When I tried rebooting into windows, and it did not even give me the option, so something is obviously not right. Another thing is that my bootcamp partition said after using winclone that it had the same aprox. 60GB of space that I had before. Obviously it did not expand to the 100GB partition like I'd hoped. Do you have any ideas on how to fix my problem? I was curious if it might be a good idea to try use the windows install disk and set everything up that way and try winclone again. I appreciate any ideas you may have. thank you.

Here is my winclone.log if it helps:

Attached Files:

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah. Here's the source of your problem.

This is why you can't resize it and it's giving you an error.

You should be able to boot from the image your restored, shut down normally, and then resize the partition manually from Terminal.app with ntfsresize. If you're not comfortable in Terminal.app, you could try a gparted live CD just to resize it.

B