PLS HELP SETTING UP SHARING DROBO via GIG ETHERNET on two macpros

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m3nyc, Feb 19, 2009.

1. m3nyc macrumors newbie

Hi,

going to get a drobo or similar and want to network it via gig ethernet between my two or somtimes 3 macpros.

also have a few older macs that dont have gig ethernet and still need those to be on the network.

can anyone provide info on what the best setup is, and the best equipment I need to do this?

what the best overall price + performance on network drive , switch and other hardware without the a highend price tag.

thanks! much appreciate any help that is provided :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. m3nyc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. thats what i was thinking but then saw this on theappleblog

"there is something seriously wrong with the DroboShare NIC’s latency. Secondly, I don’t know what they were thinking by making it exclusively a NIC. It should double as a USB/Firewire hub/pass-through device; So in case you had a large amount of data to move around, it could be done directly, without unmounting it from the Share (aka shut it down first, wait, then plug it into a computer, copy/move files, then shut down the drobo again, re-plug it back into the Share.. thats some pretty redundant and pointless steps)."

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you could get a old computer, connect the drobo and enable file sharing.

That kind of defeats the purpose of the drobo since it could have been cheaper to run a RAID 5 array.