Pls help with an iPhoto '08 (Slideshow) issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Apr 26, 2008.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I recently reviewed a couple of slideshows I made with iPhoto '08 and I noticed an anomaly. At first it appeared to only affect one picture, but after watching a bit more, found that it was at least two pictures. See the attached pic to see what I noticed in iPhoto. The picture exists in my iPhoto library, and it appears in the fame in he upper portion of the iPhoto window, but it doesn't display in the slideshow. When you double-click to edit, or choose preview, you either get what's in the attachment or a gray screen with a large question mark. Does anyone know what's going on? What can I do at this point? I've never seen this before and would appreciate any assistance with this rather vexing issue.

HawaiiMacAddict

Attached Files:

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Maybe a certain size thumbnail is missing or corrupt - iPhoto stores various size thumbnails for each photo to increase viewing speed.

Try rebuilding he thumbnail library. Hold command+option while opening iPhoto.

3. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha mrkgoo,

Thanks for that suggestion and your quick reply. I'm still a fairly new switcher (less than 2 years), and really appreciate the responsiveness of the Mac community. I'm doing a rebuild of all thumbnails (it said that I would have to wait for 13 minutes), but I'll post again after the rebuild and let you know how it goes.

HawaiiMacAddict

4. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha again mrkgoo,

The thumbnail rebuild had no effect, but I resolved the issue another way. In the album from which I created the slideshow, I selected the affected pictures (each in turn) and clicked Photos -> Revert to Original. Once I did that, all I had to do was recreate the edits (a simple orientation change) and they appeared in the slideshow with nothing else to be done! Hopefully these are the only two pictures affected, but at least I know two things to do now.

HawaiiMacAddict

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Cool, great to know you managed to fix your problem! It sounds kind of like the database was corrupt, and not being able to find the modified image, so recreating it updated the database. iPhoto is a great app (probably my favourite), but it can be temperamental at the worst of times. Never ever touch the stuff inside your iPhoto Library - it can stuff stuff up. Also inside it (heh, I know, ironic), there're some database files that can be a good idea to backup occasionally. The way iPhoto is organised, you're unlikely ever to lose your actual images, but occasionally the database forgets what/where they are (very rare).