Pls how can I downgrade to snow leopard from lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jamesbond05, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

Hey guys. I bought lion and upgraded from the app store a day after it was released. A lot of features I like and use a lot are now missing or different and would like to go back to snow leopard. I didn't have a time machine back up prior to upgrading but now I do. Is there a way of reinstalling SL without losing any of my files and applications? Can I just reload the snow leopard CD that came with my mbp. Btw, I'm using an i5 mbp from 2010. Pls any assistance would be really appreciated.

2. luigidorf macrumors newbie

Try using the DVD that came with your MBP. I think you'll have to boot from it and use Disk Utilities to erase your HD. Then install Snow Leopard. Then restore with Time Machine or manually drag files back onto your computer.

I suppose there's a chance some of the files won't work on Snow Leopard now that they've been modified on Lion but if that's the case you can just upgrade to Lion again. That would be a lot of trouble for nothing but I would expect your backed up files to work fine in SL.

3. jamesbond05 thread starter macrumors member

jamesbond05

Thanks a lot for the info luigi. Yea I really want to go back to snow leopard. I'm not enjoying not even 1 of the new features. I would really appreciate anymore info from someone that has downgraded from lion to snow leopard successfully. tia

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

James, if you wait 8-10 hours, I'll be downgrading back to SL today, so I'll let you know.

5. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

This isn't a difficult process at all, just time consuming, depending on how you back things up.

1. Back up your stuff. Time Machine, manually, or otherwise.

2. Boot to your Snow Leopard DVD, or the DVD's that came with your computer.

3. Once you've booted to the Snow Leopard DVD, go to Utilities in the menu bar, click Disk Utility and chose your hard drive in the sidebar. Usually the first one on the list. Go to the "Erase" tab, make sure the format is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and type whatever you want in for a name. The default is Macintosh HD.

4. Click the Erase button. This will wipe everything off of your hard drive. Your hard drive will be a blank slate.

5. Close Disk Utility and proceed with the Snow Leopard install process.

6. Once Snow Leopard is done installing, proceed to restore your applications and files.

And there you go, you're back to Snow Leopard.

6. shrx macrumors newbie

I used this method:

1. create a new partition for SL (keep the Lion partition)
    2. install SL on a new partition
    3. use migration assistant, select the Lion partition
    4. you now have a fully working SL with all your data from Lion. now you can erase the Lion partition and run software update so you get all the updates for SL.

7. jamesbond05 thread starter macrumors member

jamesbond05

^Thanks a lot for the info. I think I'll try that

8. jamesbond05 thread starter macrumors member

jamesbond05

How did yours go?

9. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Hopefully Will survived his lion taming episode.

10. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

11. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

I've tried the method of doing a time machine backup whilst in Lion and then doing a clean install of Snow Leopard, which all goes fine. But then when I try to migrate all my files from the Time Machine backup it says it can't do it because it is from a more up to date version of OS X.

How did none of you get this happen when moving your files back onto Snow Leopard?

12. Boo The Hamster macrumors member

Boo The Hamster

I'm just speculating here, but I suspect the part in bold (above) is your problem.

I would imagine that what other people have done is do an install of Snow Leopard, and use the last Time Machine backup they took before they upgraded, as the restore. So you're using an SL backup -> SL OS, not Lion backup -> SL OS.

For the work that you've done between the upgrade and the re-install... Hmm.
    All I can think of is:

Reinstall Lion
    Restore from your latest (Lion) TM backup.
    Attach a non-TM drive
    Drag and drop any docs, photos etc that you've altered, to the drive
    Reinstall SL, and restore with your last SL TM backup.
    Try and drag your updated folders / files back, maybe renaming them first.

Only a suggestion, and no guarantee it'll work. There are many Mac whizz's round here with more experience than me.

13. jamesbond05 thread starter macrumors member

jamesbond05

howd you do yours?

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This is great advice, I'm going to be using it, thank you!

15. jamesbond05 thread starter macrumors member

jamesbond05

Pls will all my apps like photoshop and word transfer with migration assistant?

16. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Does anyone know if a new 2011 Mac Mini can even run Snow Leopard?

17. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

No I know that is why mine isn't working but it seems like the original person as stated as well didn't do a backup whilst on Snow Leopard and was still able to transfer their files from a Lion backup to Snow Leopard. Wanted to know if they did anything different

18. shrx macrumors newbie

yes, I have both photoshop and word and everything works exactly as before. you keep all settings, presets, custom brushes...

19. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

Couldn't get this to work.

20. ElCapitan macrumors newbie

I recently purchased one of the brand new iMacs that came with Lion on it. I'd like to make a SL partition, but when I try to boot from my SL disc, the screen goes black with a bunch of text and says I need to restart the computer. Is anyone else having this issue?

21. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Odds are your SL disc isn't going to work unless the version number is higher than the number it came with.

I'm guessing the new iMacs shipped with 10.6.7 before Lion launched. Find a version of SL higher than that, or an SL disc designed for those iMacs and it should work for you.

22. ElCapitan macrumors newbie

This is what I figured. I have read that You have to have SL 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 to instal Lion (as you have to have the App Store). But how do I get a copy if a disc or DL of 10.6.8 to be able to do this? There might be a disc at work I could use, but no idea what version it is. I got mine just about as soon as SL came out. I was briefly reading at work that I could download the 10.6.8 Combo update from Apple and make a boot disc but I wash unable to read the whole article. I may try that routes.

Lion isn't so bad for me, and now that I have everything set how I want it, I probably won't go this route, but would be nice to have as a backup.

23. Sykotic macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I booted to my SL install disc and then did a restore from Time Machine to my last backup of SL pre-Lion. It completed the restore but now just hangs and has the spinning gear on the apple boot screen. Advice?!?