Plug for magsafe conector on computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwd hero, Mar 9, 2010.

1. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Does anyone know where I can get some kind of plastic plug to cover the magsafe connector on my MBP? I had an issue with the connection area on my computer a little while ago and I just want to take a little extra precaution and keep it covered when im not using it.

2. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I thought of that, but that is obviously not the ideal solution for this problem.
    Also, I have to charge my computer quite a bit because at work I watch a lot of movies and browse the internet a lot. Taking the tape on, and off 2 times a day would eventually wear out the tape and I would be stuck at work with nothing covering the connector again.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Honestly, I think this is the least of your worries. Not only is the magsafe connector horizontal 95% of the time, but it is also recessed into the side of the computer. It is highly unlikely that anything would happen to it.

4. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

MagSaver protects where the cord connects to the head. That's where most people have issues.

That's the only one I've seen, and I use them. They're overpriced, of course, and make your MagSafe get yanked off your mac easier, but they really do the job in protecting the connection at the head of the MagSafe. I recommend them.

5. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

I'd say that something like these "Protectorz" covers from Radtech are definitely worth considering.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Portectorz.aspx

If for no other reason than to show a defiant genius that you took precautions to prevent recurrence should another fire erupt between your MagSafe plug and MBP.

6. robfromabove macrumors regular

Yeah, but what happens if you want to use one of your USB ports? :rolleyes:

7. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Cutting the cover in sections is one possible option to deal with a scenario like that.
    See for example:
    http://www.radtech.us/Images/Products/Portectorz/btyProduct5.jpg

(Disclaimer - I'm not a Radtech company representative. I've not personally used Protectorz and there may be other companies that produce or sell similar product(z). There may even be one on the market that covers only the MagSafe connector.
    Although more expensive than tape I'd say it is worth considering given the OP's past experiences. It is definitely his/her/your choice whether or not this particular product fits his/her/your needs.)

8. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats not exactly what i was looking for, i was looking for a plug for the computer end to keep it closed unless i want it open.
    That is exactly what i am looking for, its too bad the status of the 13" MBP model is "coming soon". I just emailed them asking when this product will be available. Hopefully they will respond soon, and i will get something to protect my computer.

9. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

I know this is a little bit of an old thread, but i just wanted to post that i went ahead and ordered the plug for the 17" MBP and cut it to fit my 13". The quality of this product is really high. I will post pictures in a few minutes, after my phone is finished syncing.