Plug in guitar in MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by gusious, Jun 21, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hello to all!

I have a MBP and i want to know if there's a way to connect my guitar with my MBP so i can record there.Do i need any software?I have no idea what should i do so any help will be appreciated!!!!!:D

2. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

All you technically needs is a 1/4" to the mini headphone sized jack (3.5mm) and plug it into the line in. Or I believe they make 1/4" to USB adapters. You can record using garage band.

A more idea solution would be to get a recording mic and mic your guitar amp then go into a small mixer and then into the MBP.

Google is definitely your friend on this one.

3. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I've done exactly that. I bought a 1/4" -> mini plug, then plugged the line-out from my amp into my MBP.

There was a bit of fiddling around I had to do with the settings in GarageBand so that it would record from the line-in, but that was definitely the easy part. If you get it plugged in and you're not able to get it sorted out, just post on here and I'll see if I can track down those instructions again.

4. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The 1/4" cable is the cable that plugs into your guitar.

The 1/8" cable is the one that plugs into your line in port on your macbook.

You need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

6. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Thanks.We don't use inches here so am not familiar at all.

Something else....it's a bit stupid but in which port should i plugin the cable??

Also,i have soundtrack pro.Is it good for recording?Or should i get logic8??

I forgot to mention that the recording stuff is just for fun...!Nothing special!

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You want to go into the line in port. So not the one you plug your headphones into but the one that is the same size and is probably right next to it. I'm not familiar with Soundtrack Pro, but if its just for fun it would probably be fine, I usually use Garageband.

8. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

I've plugged in using just an adapter before, just to practice on my guitar.... but that's no longer necessary since I have my M-Box. *But you still need to find the right amp simulator plugin(s).*

9. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

What's the M Box?

10. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

An audio interface by Digidesign, it comes with Pro Tools LE software.

11. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I think that you really would do better with something as a preamp between the guitar and the line in. Some kind of M-Box, USB interface, even a mixer or direct box. Depends on how seriously you're planning on recording.

12. nanvinnie macrumors regular

have any of you guys used the monster cables made for apple... they have special 1/4" to 1/8" cables and xlr to 1/8" cables from monster... i was thinking about getting one...(just for fiddling around, not super serious about recording) any thoughts?

13. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I'm not a fan of Monster Cables--they really don't give enough return for the premium you pay, in my opinion. I've never been that happy with the quality from a 1/4" to 1/8" cable, but I might be picky.

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

It's sometimes difficult picking up a signal from an electric guitar straight into the line in of the macbook. A cheap pre-amp (art's tube MP) or a cable like the lightsnake are definitely the two cheapest ways to do it.

Around here, we tend to have a million pieces of gear. If you're just playing around for the first time, a super simple setup with either guitar > preamp > line in or guitar > usb is the simplest, not to mention the cheapest. >$40 for either option.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

16. mannix87 macrumors 6502

I suggest you get a good midi interface for good digital recording. M-Audio is a good brand that is compatible w/ most available applications like Garageband or Logic Pro/Express, Ableton and even Pro Tools for windows.