Plug in HDMI adaptor = crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The General, Nov 2, 2009.

1. The General macrumors 601

Alright, so I got this USB audio and minidisplayport video to HDMI adaptor from Monoprice. It worked great, still does in Windows. I have a Westinghouse LTV-32w2 32" 1366x768 HDTV. I wanted to use the native resolution of the TV, so I used SwitchResX to setup a custom resolution and I was testing it with some test patterns I found on the interwebs.

I finally got it to display pixel for pixel on the TV, all test patterns were displayed correctly, the only problem was that the entire image was being displayed exactly 72 pixels to the right, so there was a black bar 72 pixels wide on the left, and it cut off the right 72 columns of pixels.

So I went into the resolution and I clicked the left arrow in SwitchResX 72 times to the left, it seemed to change something called the "front porch" and the "back porch" 1 number at a time, and since it started with a 72 pixel front porch, I figured that was the problem.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what most of these settings are in SwitchResX. No idea what a front porch or back porch is, or why they are called that.

All I want is for my second display to use 1366x768 resolution on my TV.

So, after I set the "front porch" to 0, hoping to move the image to the left 72 pixels, things went wrong. You know that blue color that Mac OS X shows while switching resolutions? While it is fading away, the OS hangs. After that, it only updates the screen every 20 seconds or so, 5 or 6 times, and then stays hanged and never responds. I have to force restart the computer.

So, I've tried deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver and ~/Library/Preferences/By Host/com.apple.preference.display* (there were two of them) and I've looked on google for hours trying to find a solution to reset the settings or change the default display resolution for the adaptor to no avail.

Even if I plug just the adaptor in without the HDMI cable plugged into it, the system hangs.

How can I fix this without reinstalling Snow Leopard? How can I reset the settings manually? How do I remove any trace of the fact that I've used this adaptor before on my computer? All I need is for the default display resolution for the adaptor when I plug it in to be something that doesn't make my computer freeze.

2. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I missed a file in ~/Library/Preferences/By Host/ called com.apple.windowserver*

Deleting that fixed it. Probably gunna stay away from SwitchRezX for a while.

3. Potifction macrumors newbie

Seems you resolve your problem, but I got a very similar issue : I received my new MBP 13" yesterday and tried to plug it to my Samsung 32" HDTV via the minidisplay to HDMI port with a whole new DrBott Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter II (which is advertised to be compatible with those new MBP).

Each time I plug the TV, after a few seconds/minutes, the two screens turn to a solid random color and the system hangs...

Any idea ?