Plug in your headphone to the new MBP - ITS REALLY LOUD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allanibanez, Nov 7, 2008.

1. allanibanez macrumors regular

So i just settled myself down with a newest episode of The Office(US) and because its late i plugged my headphones into my mbp. I was expecting nothing more than normal listening levels but instead i was met with a really REALLY loud sound output. I'm on volume one with VLC turned right down.

Quite suprising, but apple have probably recognised the fact that many people use the headphone jack for driving speakers, so have made the output quite substantial to ensure there is sufficient power. The upshot being, when you use headphone you've got to turn it right down.

Check it out for yourself (I assume its normal).

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, the headphone amp is a brute, and has a fairly high gain as well. Turn the volume down in the player a bit. It works for me, and I use pretty efficient headphones (Denon AH0-751s).

3. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i noticed the quality, despite the high levels, is remarkably good - no added distortion to the sound at all. Well done apple, this headphone amp is damn good! I have been meaning to get myself some decent headphones for a while now, so its nice to know that the MBP will be a good driver for them.

4. eBrooker macrumors newbie

I found this earlier by accident (was testing the difference between the headphones directly into the mac versus via my amp)... I nearly deafened myself as I didn't expect it to be so loud!! :cool:

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I'll never forget the day I realized this... I had figured the volume would be lower, so I had it cranked up... needless to say I always make sure it's at 1/4 or less before playing anything through my headphones...:)

EDIT: and this is on an old core duo MBP!

6. Mercellus macrumors regular

I love how the sound output on the MacBook Pro is crystal clear, regardless of if I'm using a set of speakers, headphones, or even the built in audio... it sounds great compared to any other notebook I've ever used, and that includes the previous generation MacBook Pro from June 2007.

I'm also amazed with how much response I get when using the audio out jack on my MacBook Pro in conjunction with the headset my iPhone came with, seems to have a level of bass to it as well which is really surprising.

7. blurfonz macrumors regular

Cool! :) Good to know the improve features looked at by Apple happened

8. benjs macrumors regular

I doubt it, but does anyone know whether Apple improved the output quality of the 17" models as well? Mine should be here within a week and a half.

9. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

So iPhone > Line In > MBP and you can hear what your iPhone is playing? I can't get any sound playback from my line in. My MBP detects the sound as the level indicator moves around but there is no monitoring. Are you using the LineIn App rogue ameoba made by any chance?