plug the 23" display AND close the macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaktimage, Jul 25, 2009.

1. shaktimage macrumors member

I just got my beautiful 23" cinema display, now i am trying to have it as my main and only screen so i can close the macbook pro. (Of course i have external mouse and keyboard.) I know it is possible, i read a tutorial about it last year, just cant find it no more. Anyone knows how to do it? Thanks!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Plug in the monitor, close the MBP, press any button to wake it up from sleep. :)

Alternatively, install InsomniaX.

3. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

dont install any third party app, it's not necessary

Just make sure the macbook is plugged to the wall as it can't run in clamshell on battery.

boot the macbook completely into the OS,make sure your monitor is on and connected to the macbook, then close the macbook lid, then press any key on your external keyboard or mouse, voila... the external display will show your desktop.

4. feedmeister macrumors member

I think you're mistaken... It can definitely run on battery in clamshell. Just make sure it can wake from bluetooth or usb, and it'll wake up.

5. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

That's not what :apple: says: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

It wakes up, but returns to sleep

7. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

8. feedmeister macrumors member

Haha, maybe your power preferences are causing it to sleep... I'm definitely using my apple wireless keyboard and mouse in clamshell without my AC adapter, but whatever works for you guys!

9. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Hmm despite what :apple: says in the link I gave above, you are absolutely correct as this guy also notes in an earlier thread (and I was able to replicate just now):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7651549&postcount=22

Thanks, learned something new :)