plugged in during sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by halisray, Apr 5, 2010.

1. halisray macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Just wondering, whenever I use my macbook unibody at home, I have it plugged in most of the time. When I take it to school, I don't bring my plug. When I go to sleep, I generally unplug it and put the macbook to sleep.

Should I keep it plugged in even though I closed the lid whilst I sleep during the night? Or should I keep unplugged it every night when I close the lid?

Also, I do calibrate my battery once a month. its at 93% after 43 cycles.

Thanks for the help!

2. lyons238 macrumors 6502

only plug your macbook in when it is low/dead or if you need the battery life. you should try to get the most time as possible off one charge and only plug in when needed. i usually use my macbook down to 1-2% then i fully charge it and use it until 1-2% again.

also once every month or so you should fully charge the battery, then run it until the laptop dies, once it dies, let it rest for 5+ hours, then fully recharge. that is how to calibrate and get the most from your battery.

apple and many other sources recommend you dont keep your laptop plugged in unless it needs to be charged.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Naw, just use it. The Mac disconnects the battery from the charger when it is full. The battery then "floats" and does not charge any more. So there is no practical advantage to be gained by physically unplugging the charger.

Just because the green light is on, does not mean that there is any juice going into the battery.

4. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

pretty sure I read that you need to keep your macbook plugged in if you can.. if you keep running your battery down every time you use it, your battery life will suck.. you'd be going through so many cycles its insane.. but obviously I calibrate my battery once a month, I wrote that already..

for the other poster: so its cool if I leave it plugged in at night then? thx

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is absolutely unnecessary. It's fine to leave your MB plugged in.... just not 24/7 for months at a time.
    Absolutely true!
    Yes, it's cool.

6. lyons238 macrumors 6502

can anyone second that letting it fully discharge then charging hurts the battery. i was told this is the best way to do it..

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one said it hurts the battery. It just unnecessarily puts more cycles on the battery, shortening its life. Plug it in when you can, use it on battery when you need to.

Calibrating a portable computer battery
    About Apple Notebook batteries

8. lyons238 macrumors 6502

i thought it still puts a cycle on the battery when you fully charge it? someone told me it was better for the battery to fully discharge it lol wtf. i have like 100 charge cycles on my macbook i probably could have 50 if i would have known that...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A cycle is one full discharge and recharge, or 2 50% discharges/recharges or 4 25% discharges/recharges, etc. It accumulates any discharge/recharge until it totals a full cycle.

10. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

rofl.. and when did u buy ur unibody? i bought mine in november and I have 43 cycles. and u have 100... OUCH

11. lyons238 macrumors 6502

well then fully discharging it wouldnt add more cycles then because it just adds half cycles etc...so say you charge yours when it gets down to 50%, your charging it twice as much as i am, but the cycle count would still equal out the same..

and i got mine in dec, i use it a lot though. and for some reason since i got it my health has always been 88% even during the first week.

should i take it to apple and see if i can get another battery?

12. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

no. when you can use a plug, keep it plugged in. if not, then just use it until you can plug it in again. ONCE a month you run down the battery all the way, leave it for a few hours, then charge it back up again. the reason why ur battery is 88% is because every time u used ur laptop, you ran it down to 1% or 2% and then you charge it back up again - so pointless.. thus you use more cycles... and no Apple will not give you a new battery rofl, they aren't a charity bro

ps: what u wrote made no sense.. its not hard to understand this lol.. look at apple support on batteries, a guy posted the link

13. lyons238 macrumors 6502

no my battery has been 88% from when i first got it, i didnt start fully discharging it after a few weeks, when someone told me to...

im going to give it a shot anyway...

how much would it be to get a new battery anyway?

14. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

Read those links that guy wrote down for you, you'll get your answer there.

and there really is not point in purchasing a new battery.. they probably go for ~$100 (the older macbook models have replaceable batteries at ~$100) but you'd probably have to pay for them to replace it for you seeing as how it is a unibody model.

15. lyons238 macrumors 6502

16. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

exactly, because there is no price.. you would have to send it into Apple, i gave you the replaceable battery price because it would probably cost around the same thing.. anyways your battery is perfectly fine, just use your macbook properly and it'll be all good

17. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have a unibody too but it's aluminum that I've had since '08. I have 70 load cycles, 100% health, and have it plugged in most of the time. Whoever told you about draining then charging didn't know what they were talking about. You should really plug it in when available.

18. lyons238 macrumors 6502

ya i wish i would have known that earlier :/

also anyone have an idea why my battery has always been around 88% right from the beginning?

also i have a 7200rpm hd and i usually get 5 hours of battery time (normal use, half brightness) i can squeez about 6 and change out if im just browsing/music and low brightness.

19. Arrandale macrumors regular

When it's sleeping, unplug it. When you wake up in the morning (feeling like p diddy) plug it in for about an hour before you take it to school.

Even if you do leave the plug in, nothing much is going to happen... apple's battery tech is really advanced and prevents idle charging so all's good

20. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

Battery-Loadcycles

My MacBook Aluminum 2Ghz 4GB RAM has 400 battery-loadcycles. I have had it for 16 months it is my first Mac. The battery is broken, it only holds a charge for 10 minutes at it's peak. But the battery is broken because it's lowest capacity is like 95%... So it takes it 10 mins to get down to that and then BAM! ...it shuts off without telling me or letting me save my work. I have to have it constantly plugged in. It's embarrassing because in school I have to plug it in and I tell people that Macs are so great and stuff (which they are!) but when they hear about this they just laugh. I look after my MacBook very well. It's a bit beat up but ya know... I'm saving up for a new battery currently. (And a keyboard for my iBook G4 -.-...)

21. bluskale macrumors regular

22. lyons238 macrumors 6502

you guys are right..iv been plugging in my macbook more often, taking it out when necessary or if its been plugged in for a bit. then plug it in again when it gets back down to 35-50%. it went from 88% health to 96% health in 2 days and is now steady..

atleast i learned this while it was still early

23. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have 50 cycles on my unibody white macbook at 95% health.I've never calibrated it though.and had it since january.

24. Pax macrumors 6502a

Don't believe the health numbers, they are not particularly accurate. They depend on how you last used your Mac, the battery temperature, all kinds of other factors as well as battery age. If you calibrated your battery twice on consecutive days I expect you would get significantly different answers.

25. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

yeah those numbers aren't very accurate.. my battery health sways between 91% and 94% lol.. so I mean.. just keep using your laptop normally, calibrate once a month and don't get too held up on these numbers.