Plugged in most of the time....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LedZepp81, Apr 25, 2008.

1. LedZepp81 macrumors newbie

LedZepp81

Hey All,

I got what might be a dumb question but I have just been wondering. Most of the time when using my new MBP I always have an outlet to plug it into, like when working at my desk. Is it bad on the battery in the long run to always have it plugged in when using? When the time comes to run off the battery will that cause it to have less hours of use?

Thanks

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

If you always have it plugged in the cells in the battery won't be exercised and you will eventually lose capacity. Apple recommends calibrating your battery once a month or every 6 weeks or so by running it dry until the laptop goes to sleep and then charging it full again. This way you keep the juices running and you will get the best performance.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Every three or so days, pull it off the AC power and let it run through 25-50% or so of a full cycle. I do this to 25%, and I'm at 98% battery health since August; with mostly tethered use but a few "road warrior" sessions.

4. LedZepp81 thread starter macrumors newbie

LedZepp81

Ok, I will have to make sure I do that.
    Thanks for the quick reply

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its fine to leave it plugged in sometimes but not all the time as the battery 'trickle charges' i.e. from 100% to 95% then back to 100% again over a certain period of time (thats why sometimes the charge is not 100%).

but as Apple says and Jiddick above, recalibrate every month or so to keep the battery healthy.

when you are using the battery dont drain it every time. lithium batteries like to remain above 50% and draining them all the time is what kills the battery over time. i think Apple used the analogy of a computer using the notebook on the way to work then plugging it in at work.

for more info www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Just an aside on the battery health: Any truth to the "pop the battery in the freezer overnight, let it sit to room temp, and charge it up" school of thought?

Sorry for veering slightly off topic...

7. JoshLV macrumors regular

Good to know. I was going to make a thread about this.

8. JoshLV macrumors regular

One more question- it says that the minimum operating temperature is 50 degrees. My MBP never gets to 50. Right now it's at 31 and within an hour or two from now it will be 45ish. Does everyone get above 50?

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Check the F and C of your numbers and report back.