Plugged In Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Haust, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Haust macrumors member

2015 MBP that's about 2 weeks old. How is possible for the power adapter to be plugged in, but the battery is not charging?

Attached Files:

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Have Apple swap put the power adapter for you.

3. Haust thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't it seem to be more an issue with the Battery than the power adapter? I have seen it plugged up and charging, but the indicator light wasn't on the MagSafe plugin. This is making me nervous about the future of this device.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Since it's only two weeks old, I would request a new device.

5. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

If you plugged in at like 95% it typically doesn't charge I believe? Could be wrong about the newer MacBook Pros.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That's correct, but it should say that fully charged at 95%.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Charging does not stop at 95%. It just won't begin charging unless the charge level is below 95%

Unplug the charger, and let the battery discharge to below 95%.
    Plug the charger back in, and you should see the battery charging, which should continue to full charge (100%)
    If the battery does not charge, even with a charge level less than 95%, that would be a service issue :D

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

Apple hardware test will tell you if you have an error. Make sure the charger is plugged in. During the test

Not charging might be temperature related. The battery or cpu might be too warm. Or the power adapter failed and is only putting out half current

Maybe you connected a 60w charger to a computer that needs 85w ?(grasping straws here)

With sierra I've noticed that there is a few seconds of "Not charging" now before my Mac starts to charge.

Reset smc controller
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-and-how-to-reset-your-mac-system-management-controller-smc/

Does it say anything else when you hold down the option key and click on the battery icon?

Apple store will run their tests on it. They will help you out.

9. Haust thread starter macrumors member

It was at 3% when I plugged in the stock 85 watt power adapter. I didn't pay attention until I noticed that it was still at 3% for a while. I unplugged the adapter and immediately got the pop up message that the battery was low. When I plugged it up again that's when I noticed that it was saying that it was powered by the adapter, but the battery wasn't charging. I unplugged it again. This time it took, and it started charging again. For the heck of it, I just did a fresh install. I'm going to see if that helps. I plugged it in again at 50% and it seems to be charging normally. I'm going to keep an eye on this.

Question: I bought it at BestBuy. Can I take it to an Apple store if the issue comes back or do I have to take it back to Bestbuy?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your warranty is through Apple. You can take it to any Apple authorized service provider.