Plugged in overnight: 97% charged?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Italianblend, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Hi,

I plugged in my 5S overnight (about 8:30 PM) and I just went to get it (6:30AM). Before I unplugged it I pressed the home button. It said 97% charged.

Why would it not be at 100% after a whole evening of charging?

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I had the exact same thing this morning :eek:

Restarted phone and then it showed 100%

3. SvenLorenz macrumors newbie

SvenLorenz

Same here - this has been happening a few times already. iPhone 5s, plugged in overnight, 95-98% in the morning.

This has been happening with iOS 7.01, 7.02 and now 7.03.

AppleCare says that they have never heard of this problem and that I should restore the phone and discharge and recharge it a couple of times. I did both but this keeps happening.

4. msuman macrumors member

I heard somewhere that when you leave it plugged in, it goes to 100% then loses battery down to 95% and then recharges. That way it keeps small cycles which is good for the battery. So I'm guessing you took it out when it was at 97%, which isn't that big of a deal.

5. SvenLorenz macrumors newbie

SvenLorenz

But I always charge the phone overnight and the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and the 5 were always charged to 100% in the morning.

6. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I have had this happen a lot. Even when the phone is at 100% and starts to drain quickly, I just do a hard reset and its back at 100%. Same with the over night charge. This happened on my 5 running iOS7 and my 5s.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Same thing has been happening on my 5. I bought it used and it's got Applecare+ and has some of the usual dings to the chamfered edges (it's the black model), so I figured I'd swap it out for a new one. I made a Genius Bar appointment to swap it out, but the girl ran a diagnostic on it first to see if the battery was showing any problems. It wasn't. She then said she wanted to restore it there in the store, said their restore was "deeper" than doing a normal restore through iTunes (not sure if I believe that or not).

It's still doing the same thing (which may be perfectly normal), but I never noticed this behavior on my white iPhone 5 that I recently sold. I've also noticed that if I charge it to 100%, then put it in airplane mode with no connections, it's losing 10-15% battery overnight. I KNOW that's not normal, as I used to do the same thing with my white iPhone 5 and it would lose, at most, 1% overnight.

8. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I remember reading that somewhere too, so maybe that's it. Just weird to pick up a fully charged device at 97. It really isn't a big deal as long as there is nothing wrong with the battery.

9. gglittle macrumors regular

Calibrating the battery

Unless things have changed this month, you need to force your device into a deep discharge -- run it till it shuts itself off. Let it set for 1 to 2 hours, I've also seen 6 hours recommended, then charge it to 100%.

The Apple devices I have require this and I do it about once a month.

10. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Thank you for the help, but I think it's ridiculous that you have to go through all of that monthly for your apple devices.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You don't. They are posting FUD. ;)