plugged in ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBilal, May 10, 2015.

1. iBilal macrumors regular

iBilal

I'm sure this has been asked before ..

but at the end of the day .. do you turn off the laptop from the apple menu, the shutdown thing .. and unplug the charging cable?

I don't go through shut down .. just close the lid .. but don't keep it plugged into the charger ..

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, this has been asked before, a few hundred times lol.

Why do you bother unplugging it? The computer's charging system can take care of itself without you stepping in. Leave things as is, you're not going to damage anything. The power supply is exactly what its name implies, a power supply. Think of it as a well of electricity. If the computer doesn't need any, it won't draw any. Keeping it plugged in when fully charged will have no effect whatsoever on your battery's life expectancy.

3. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

.. thanks for your reply ..

and, so, there's no need to "shut down" the computer .. I can just close the lid and the next day open the lid and start from where I left off ..

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can do just that. A computer doesn't get sleepy or tired or anything, it's just a machine, nothing more.

I leave mine powered on/sleeping(when not using it) for months on end. I only reboot for bootcamp or for an update that requires it. Right now mine's been running 24 hours a day for the last 5.5 days according to iStat, the only reason I shut it down early this week was to update the firmware of my SSD.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just plug it in when you can and run it from the battery when you need to. As long as you cycle the battery about once a month, it'll be fine.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I leave mine plugged in, I really don't pay too much attention to it.