Plugging a 24" Cinema dispay into a sony laptop..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zebaldwin, Jun 1, 2011.

1. zebaldwin macrumors newbie

I bought a 24" cinema display (the newer one) from someone on a whim and realized that there is no compatibility with my sony vaio laptop (which is what I need it for). The laptop only has a vga connection. Is there anyway to do anything to connect the two or am I screwed? I am a graphic designer and dying to use this monitor...Id really appreciate any help.
    It came with an adapter with a vga connection on one end (not sure what the other end is...doesnt fit anywhere into the Cinema display)

2. simsaladimbamba

That 24" Apple LED Display has a Mini DisplayPort interface and you need a converter to connect it to a VGA interface.
    The adapter you have only works from MDP > VGA, but you need it the other way round, which is more expensive.
    You might need something like this, but it may only work with DVI or other digital connections, and VGA is analog.
    http://www.atlona.com/DisplayPort-and-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapters/

For reference what you might have, look at the following quote:

3. zebaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick detailed response!
    I do have the mdp to vga.
    So, if I need the opposite, is that vga to mdp? Im still a little confused as to exactly what I need...because the mdp to dual link is still mdp "to" something

Thanks again!

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you need some VGA to MDP adapter. I only know of this DVI to (M)DP adapters I linked to.
    Anyway, such adapter will cost around 100 USD or more I guess.

5. zebaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya...I dont think they even make a vga to mdp adapter