Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Hi

I need to access my beige Powermac G3 266mhz (I need to transfer some old cubase midi files across to Mojave).

If I get a VGA to DisplayPort adaptor will I get a picture?

It doesn't have to be a great picture, full screen etc - as long as I can see it, we're all good.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
All DisplayPort to VGA adapters I know of are from DP to VGA and will not work.

The U2715H also has HDMI inputs though, so an active VGA to HDMI converter like this one should work.

Reactions: Upgrader

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014

The U2715H also has HDMI inputs though, so an active VGA to HDMI converter like this one should work.

This was exactly the kind of insight I'd hoped for - thanks.

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014

Unfortunately it's proving very difficult to find an affordable adapter that connects in the right direction - ie from the G3 VGA output to the HDMI input on my DELL monitor.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Unfortunately it's proving very difficult to find an affordable adapter that connects in the right direction - ie from the G3 VGA output to the HDMI input on my DELL monitor.

Reactions: Upgrader

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
not quite what the OP is looking for but have a picture of my own U2715H Jabbed into my Power Macintosh 4400 (through DVI on a Radeon 9200) running 7.6.1 LOL

1588687092075.png

(although if the OP cant get an adapter to work, picking up a cheap DVI card for his G3 beige might be another option, of course you could also remove the HDD from the G3 beige and connect to a modern mac if all else fails)

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
not quite what the OP is looking for but have a picture of my own U2715H Jabbed into my Power Macintosh 4400 (through DVI on a Radeon 9200) running 7.6.1 LOL

View attachment 912308

(although if the OP cant get an adapter to work, picking up a cheap DVI card for his G3 beige might be another option, of course you could also remove the HDD from the G3 beige and connect to a modern mac if all else fails)
This is useful to see, thanks.

Good shout on dropping the HDD into my Mac Pro but I need to be able to boot into OS9 and run Cubase. Doubt this would work by plugging the drive into my Mac Pro.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
depending technically minded you are etc

you could plug the HDD into the MP via whatever means (USB dock FW dock etc)

then fire up QEMU, and do a raw disk pass through, and just boot the OS 9.2.2 install in the QEMU emulated sawtooth :)

(although being an install that originated from a G3 beige, im not sure if the new world ROM is installed on that install but that would not be TOO hard to sort out)

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Good news - the adaptor worked perfectly! I unplugged the HDMI cable from my Apple TV and into the adaptor and booted the G3 - worked first time.

This was the adaptor I went with: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D51QCFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It requires power from the included USB cable and luckily I'd added a USB/Firewire 400 PCI card to the G3 back in 1998.

I've also managed to get the MIDI files to transfer across to my Mac Pro via my old Firewire 400 drive and they import into Logic Pro and work fine. It's a winner all round.

It's a shame that the G3 is so noisy as it still works perfectly well as an audio editor. Would be good to be able to leave it all plugged in but the fans are crazy loud.

Anyways, thanks for all your help with this everyone - much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.