Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I just got a new HD TV and I thought it might be neat to plug either my mid 08 imac or late 08 macbook in. What cord would I need? I'm not concerned about audio really. Would just love to surf the net and maybe do some word documents.

Blackjack07

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Belgium
Most TV's have a simple VGA plug, or if they dont, they have a HDMI plug, and there are already existing pieces that go from HDMI to VGA.
Good luck finding out what you HD TV has! You will surely be able to surf on that big ass screen! I watch movie on my plasma.. Its not HD, but I do like it a lot lol :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
umm why would you use S-Video? i doubt it has it.

HDMI will be the only way to go.

There are adapters that go from miniDVI/miniDisplayPort to S-Video/Composite, meaning they have both outputs on the same device.

I was referring to the composite, although it may not suffice on a big ass screen HDTV.

Therefore I added HDMI.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I do have a spare HDMI port so I could do it through HDMI? I would just have to steal the HDMI plug from my PS3. So now either a mini dvi or mini display? Would my imac or macbook have come with either of these? I have to try and look in the cupboards if it did

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Neither the iMac nor the MacBook came with HDMI adapters. You could use Monoprice.com or Apple Online Store to look for miniDVI or miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm I can't seem to find one on the Australian Apple store I can only find a mini dvi to vga? Thats not what I want is it

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So in both instances I will need to buy a HDMI to DVI cable and then whatever depending on whether I use my macbook or imac? Will either of them get a better picture? Or mostly the same. Its sounding like it will get expensive :( Ebay have some hdmi to dvi cables. Would they be ok to use?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Monoprice.com

Buy a cheap HDMI cable ($3-$7), preferably something long so you can move around with your laptop, and buy a 'male to female' DVI to HDMI adapter ($1.68).

Shouldn't cost you more than $10 total if you go to monoprice.com.

I can't believe Apple sells the same HDMI/DVI adapter for $45 :eek: when I bought the same thing for $1.68 at Monoprice. Ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.