Plugging in a game controller through the dock connector to play games

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baseballbent, Apr 19, 2008.

1. baseballbent macrumors member

I think this would be a great idea. That way the whole screen could be used for viewing the game screen and not wasted with touchscreen controls.

This can be compared to the guitar hero plug-in controller for the DS to come out this summer.

2. noobiestyle macrumors newbie

You my friend just faild at life..
    did you miss the point of an iphone?

3. baseballbent thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to draw and post a concept of my idea a little later. I think it would be pretty cool

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You may think it's a good idea but your idea hit a wall. The allowable uses for development with the iPhone SDK prevents access to the dock connector.

5. baseballbent thread starter macrumors member

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It's a really crippling restriction. There are amazing applications that could be written with use of the dock connector. It's just one of many restrictions such as data transfer intensive applications only being allowed to use WiFi connections such as a skype porting or video/audio streaming.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How about connectivity with a bluetooth controller for NES or SNES games?

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

There are no data Bluetooth profiles in the iPhone. Only a headset profile exists. It's unlikely they'll add any data profiles since the hacking community would immediately try to manipulate it for tethering.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    I heard that in version 2.0 they're supposed to extend the bluetooth connectivity.

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

There's some speculation that it will now include A2DP which allows you to listen to stereo music through Bluetooth earphones which a regular headset profile doesn't allow you to do.