plugging in iPhone Xs Max to my iMac keeps popping up this dialog!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 24, 2018.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

It's annoying, and it happens randomly but right now whenever I connect my iPhone to my iMac using USB cable, it seems to have trouble detecting my device and asks me to download and install a software update for my iPhone, and when I select yes, it always says that the download has failed. Does anyone know what is the cause of this and how to fix this?

2. AxlTJ macrumors member

AxlTJ

3. Culman10 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with my brand new iPhone Xr

4. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

What's macOS version? I had the same issue with HS and iOS 12.0, but additional software was installed correctly. Have you checked security software/proxy/etc. that can block downloading?

Edit: Try googling the text of the textbox you've mentioned, there was Apple article about it somewhere.

5. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

Same here.

6. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Download Xcode from Mac Store, run it and let it download the required components and it should work after

7. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 with iOS 12.1 on Xs Max. The problem doesn't always happen, just randomly. I don't know why.

8. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

It seems to me that your new iPhone is still within the period that you receive free customer support from Apple, so you could simply call them up and ask what is causing this.

9. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

It is because you're using a beta iOS. You need Xcode to install the components needed. It will continue to bug you regardless.

10. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

In addition, beta iOS may require beta Xcode for fresh beta drivers. There was a similar fail with iOS 12 beta 5 (could be wrong about beta version) when beta drivers were not included in regular update.